starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warm-Up Weight Compared to Work Set Weight

Default Warm-Up Weight Compared to Work Set Weight

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    How heavy should the last warm-up set be compared to the work set.

Yesterday my work sets were:

Squat: 145x5x3
    Bench: 140x5x3
    Deadlift: 165x5

What would be a good weight for my last warm-up set? I don't want my warm-ups to be so close to my work sets that I'm fatigued during the work sets, or even possibly able to lift more weight had my warm-ups been lighter.
    Last edited by amsgator; 08-19-2014 at 10:22 AM.

My last single is 90% of my work set. Works well. I would not go any lower for my cns to be primed.

Some guy made a google docs spreadsheet for determining your warmups:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...ER4XCPIw&hl=en

It's not bad, and matches some of the examples in SSBBBT, but like Tennisgolfboll, I also like to add an additional single rep set closer to the work set.

Quote Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
    115#, maybe, for all of them?

It's tough to really ramp up weight when the work set weights are low. I have a personal rule that I won't do more than 90% of my work set weight for a single as my last warmup.

If you don't feel "warmed up" or ready with that, I recommend just doing more sets with the empty bar to get you going.

Also, I assume you've somehow modified the standard SS programming? I say this because you don't mention Press and have 3x5 for deadlifts. That's fine, I would just mention it in your post or something so there's no confusion.
    I didn't do press yesterday, it was my bench day. I was only including my weights from yesterday. My press was 95x5x3 two workouts ago.

The deadlift x3 was an error, I only did 165x5. I got a little carried away with my x3 when I listed the weights. I fixed it.

As far as feeling warmed up, I workout in the garage where there's no A/C, so my muscles get "warm" pretty quickly. I'll definitely consider doing a 1 rep last warm-up. I guess I was stuck in the mindset of x5 for everything.

I think I stopped around 115 for bench and squat and I think I did 135 for deadlift for my last warm up. I have also been doing all my warm-up sets for 5 reps, is that too much/should I change that?
    Last edited by amsgator; 08-19-2014 at 10:25 AM.

Are those kilos or pounds? Are you injured, do you train in the morning, do you get skeered by bigger weights? All of these factors determine how big your jumps are and how much of a warm-up you need.

Here's Andy Baker's thing about warm-ups:

http://www.bakerstrengthcoaching.com/warm/

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisgolfboll View Post
    My last single is 90% of my work set. Works well. I would not go any lower for my cns to be primed.
    Are all of your other warm-up sets x5 except for the last one?

Quote Originally Posted by tobo View Post
    Are those kilos or pounds? Are you injured, do you train in the morning, do you get skeered by bigger weights? All of these factors determine how big your jumps are and how much of a warm-up you need.

Here's Andy Baker's thing about warm-ups:

http://www.bakerstrengthcoaching.com/warm/
    Pounds. Not injured. Don't know that skeered is the proper term but I am brand new to the program and have only squatted 4-5 times before.

I'll check out Andy's post, it looks very informative.

Quote Originally Posted by anticausal View Post
    Some guy made a google docs spreadsheet for determining your warmups:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...ER4XCPIw&hl=en

It's not bad, and matches some of the examples in SSBBBT, but like Tennisgolfboll, I also like to add an additional single rep set closer to the work set.
    That calculator looks pretty neat, I'm going to give it a shot. Thank you.

I tend to just use roughly 25%x5 50% x3 and 75% x2 for warm ups. Works well enough for me, but I suppose its a personal thing.

starting strength coach development program
    Andys post is great. Also get pp3 and ss if you dont have them. Andy goes into detail about warmups there esp for when you are early novice he has slightly different warmup to get more learning from it.

Those two books are amazing.

As to the one who asked how i warmup i before that single i follow the article andy wrote in most ways. So i do a 3 before that set.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast