starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025

51 years old, 6', 195. Today was heavy day. After this set, I took off 10% and did 2 backoff sets of 5.

Next workout will be light day: 20% less than heavy day for 3 sets of 5. I deadlift on light day.

So, it's 2 workouts a week (heavy/light), alternate press and bench, and alternate deadlift and chins. Thank you, PPST3. I stopped power cleans because I had a couple of lower extremity injuries this year (NOT from cleaning) and it appears I'm aging.

http://youtu.be/ScOQdTkGjMs

This is a pretty solid set of squats. Good job.

If you want me to pick at nits:
    1. Don't stand there for so long at the beginning of your set, and between reps. You're taking about 10 seconds, during which the weight is on your back. This is not rest time, you're working. Take as long as you need to get ready for the next, get your breath, and get set, but no longer.
    2. Looks like you're breaking at the knee just slightly before the hip. Do both at the same time.
    3. Consistent speed on the way down; don't go fast and then apply the brakes as you get closer to depth.

But again, overall this is a solid set of squats. Most fifty-one year olds would be in much better shape if they looked like, and squatted like, you.

Thank you. That's great to hear, and kind of you to say. I'll work on less dilly dallying between reps, a coordinated break of the hips and knees, and consistent speed on the descent.

http://youtu.be/cTs5fymmRPE

I decided to submit a follow up, mostly out of respect for your feedback, to show some effort in implementing it. My self-cues were, "Go" to avoid too much time in setup and between reps; "hips" to compensate for breaking at the knees first; and "up and down" to maintain consistent speed.

I looked from this different angle because my right knee sometimes caves. I had 2 surgeries on the right, including a lateral release, after an ACL tear a while back and never quite brought up the atrophy afterwards.

I only did 3 reps on purpose. I'm doing the post-novice program in PPST3 where the weekly 5 pound increase starts at 2-3 reps and adds 1 more rep each week on "heavy" day until I get to 5.

Appreciate that, Charlocity. Hip/knee break looks better, as does time between reps - except the first rep. You still spend a lot of time fiddling with very minute stance changes that aren't going to make a difference, while holding a bar on your back loaded with nearly your 3RM. Don't rush, but try to get to that first rep a bit quicker.

Also, we can see from this angle that you're actually shoving your right knee out past your feet. I can't see it, but it's likely you're doing the same with your left. Push knees out only so far that they're in line with your feet, not further out.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks again. I'm glad I decided to shoot the video for this follow up check from the angle that allowed that to be seen.