starting strength gym

Thread: Need advice on my bloodwork

Question Need advice on my bloodwork

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi everyone,

I have been doing general bloodwork once every year for the past four years. The panels present values within the reference ranges, except elevated Cholesterol and elevated liver enzymes. I rarely drink, do not eat processed foods, avoid seed oils, body fat is probably under 20%. Last week I did a hormone lab. My prolactin (578 mIU/L or about 25ng/mL) and estradiol (89.7 pmol/L or 2.25 ng/mL) seem rather high. Testosterone came out at 6.16 ng/mL and free Test was 0.1270 ng/mL. What am I to think of my what seem to be chronically elevated liver enzymes and how do I go about lowering prolactin and estradiol? If this is a too complicated topic for a forum discussion are there any healthcare professionals I can get in touch ( I would prefer practitioners who are willing to consult online since I live far away in Eastern Europe)?

All the best,

Are you training with heavy weights?

Liver enzymes rise in response to training with heavy weights: it's a well known phenomenon (Muscular exercise can cause highly pathological liver function tests in healthy men - PMC).

If you want to double check, skip a single workout and repeat the blood test immediately before the following one. Or just get your blood test as far as possible from the actual workout itself, depending on your programming.

What is "elevated cholesterol"?

Quote Originally Posted by Maybach View Post
    Liver enzymes rise in response to training with heavy weights: it's a well known phenomenon (Muscular exercise can cause highly pathological liver function tests in healthy men - PMC).

If you want to double check, skip a single workout and repeat the blood test immediately before the following one. Or just get your blood test as far as possible from the actual workout itself, depending on your programming.

What is "elevated cholesterol"?
    Something that bothers a lot of doctors I suppose...
    Okay, it seems like training with heavy weights can alter the liver enzymes labs.
    Regarding the prolactin and the estradiol, should I test again or do these seem abnormal enough to seek help for?