starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pancreatic Cancer

Default Pancreatic Cancer

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello Rip,

I know you are not a doctor and I apologize for asking your advice for something you do not specialize in (giving advice about cancer), however you are a very smart person that knows how to weed out the bullshit and get to the point.
    What I am looking to gain from this post is an understanding on what would Rip do/say....nothing more/less.

One of my neighbors, a friend, was just diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer. He's 45, 2 young boys, lovely wife..good dude.
    We just hung out with him, his family and all our neighbors.
    We know the stats on pancreatic cancer...he just got a second biopsy, doesn't have the results yet...Heart Breaking shit.
    He told me he's going to need my help putting the weight back on and because he has no appetite he's already losing weight.
    He went for a run today to clear his mind...I told him to stop. I told him to stop running, start lifting and start eating.
    If you are gaining weight & building muscle that means that your body can't be dying....because it's growing.

That's the only advice I could think of....
    What would you tell your friend?

Thanks,

That's exactly what I've told several of my friends. After that, it's up to them.

Than you.
    I'm going to push this philosophy.
    His benefits are good enough to get him dietitian.
    Hopefully they think the same way.

Dietitians? We'll see.

they wont...we know it...but I can regularly take him out for BBQ and give m 2 cents.

Is he training now?

no. a recreational runner. I encouraged him to join the gym and train with me....not sure if he'll do it...but he's a very hard working motivated individual so I'm hoping he will.
    4k calories a day minimum was my recommendation.
    even if he doesn't lift wouldn't the large increase in calories cause tissue growth?

It might. Pancreatic cancer is a bad deal. But this guy has 2 problems that will compound themselves.

There are different types, some are treatable, others I would consider not treating if it were me. It also depends greatly on how advanced it is when discovered. Heme/Oncs are notorious for never telling patients to stop, but sometimes that's the best option. But only he can make that decision. Continue to train as able, but don't press him if he doesn't want to. You've told him, and that's the best you can do. It's up to him.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    But this guy has 2 problems that will compound themselves.
    whats the second one?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast