starting strength gym

Thread: Ask Rip #53: Highly Relevant Shit

Default Ask Rip #53: Highly Relevant Shit

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024

I'm definitely doing my part. Just got back from teaching a girlie girl how to power clean and it went really well. Hope the Starting Strength University (trademark pending) will have some form of an online only deal so I can participate. If not, I'll just have to save up the money and drag my ass on a plane, hopefully in the not too distant future. The latter was plan A to begin with, but I'd love for it to be plan B for the time being.

I like the idea of doing it on your own schedule. For people with work commitments, this could be a good way to get the cert. For instance, I have a week on, week off schedule, so it wouldn't be possible to follow a group that was working through 5 weeks of material straight through.

I'm already headed to a seminar but I have ZERO coaching experience. I'm going to the seminar just to get a better grasp on the material and get better at my own lifts. But down the road I'd like to get the cert and coach a few people on the side in a home gym or something. I'd definitely be interested in the online lessons.

Scaldrew, you will still have to come to a seminar to test for the certification. The educational component is just to help you be better prepared when you test - it is not a completion = certification course. At least this was my understanding from the full discussion we had at the seminar.

I like the idea of being able to go at your own pace for the totality of the material as well, Pluripotent. However, the format that Nick proposed, I assume would be cheaper and therefore accessible to more people. If it were a true "at your own pace", then logistically it would probably have to be 100% SSC reviewed, which would (and should) cost more.

I know and attending a seminar is definitely something I want to do in the next 3-5 years. It would just help my current plebeian coaching practices if I could participate in this, though I suppose learning about anatomy, chemistry, biology, physics, and global warming will all help my coaching skills, too. Maybe look at some gardening and zoology while I'm at it.

starting strength coach development program
    This is very exciting, I'm a SSOC client currently and have learned so much that I can't stop thinking I want to bring this method to my patients instead of constantly referring them to crap physiotherapy and prescribing pain killers, only for them to to back a month later moaning at me again. I've never coached anyone, but I'm pretty sure I could. I will get over for a seminar in the next year or 2 before I start trying to coach anyone, but before that I will re-read both books again, and am waiting on a delivery of The Barbell Prescription. Its hard to get a paperback copy in the UK.
    Anything online would be warmly welcomed by those of us outside the USA, can't wait to see what develops.