starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chin ups and pull ups in original SS

Default chin ups and pull ups in original SS

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    My pressing workouts have been suffering a bit lately, and I was reading that doing chin ups and pull ups would help them (along with eating and sleeping, of course). There's the Practical Programming Novice Program which has the chin ups and pull ups instead of power cleans. I would like to keep doing power cleans, so would adding the chins and pulls on top of the original SS with the power cleans be too much? What do you say?

Put them in where you feel is sensible. This stuff is not that complicated. Hitting chins heavy too soon before deadlifts or bench usually causes trouble performing those exercises and adding the scheduled weights, but other than that they are good to throw in pretty much anywhere.

If you use a fairly narrow grip for pressing, it will be fairly arm dominant. Chins and tricep specific work will help a lot. Intense bicep work seems to help a lot with bench press, but not as much with pressing overhead.

If you use a wider grip, delts will be doing a lot of the hardest work. So isolation delt work woudl probably help a lot but is very much not in fashion around here.

Also, dont rule out simply doing more pressing. Pressing is very easy to revover from compared to other lifts, you can do them very often with out problems. Vary methods (push pressing, push jerking, overloaded press-starts, pressing against pins, dumb bell pressing, clean & pressing, one arm pressing etc..
    Last edited by Dastardly; 05-14-2011 at 08:00 PM.

Chins and pullups are assistance lifts. Program them accordingly. Simply replacing power cleans with weighted chins for 3x~5 isn't a bad way to do it. If you can stomach it doing them after power cleans this is fine too. Could always try after deadlifts as well.

thanks guys. So I am planning to add chin ups and close grip bench, after my main lifts - or is close grip bench enough, since the pressing workouts require more triceps?

For assistance exercises, PPST recommends higher reps. I am just wondering why that is so, because I thought that lower reps were better for strength gains. Please explain and I will do what is the best.

I guess the weight increase would be slower than with the main lifts.
    Last edited by kabuki; 05-14-2011 at 09:55 PM.

Chins ups will see a near immediate jump in your pressing and benching numbers once you get good (~10 reps) at them. I'd ditch the CGB. Try dips if you think you need the extra work, but I doubt it. Make sure your form and setup is good. A solid setup on the presses helps immensely.

Higher reps = less weight = less stress and less energy = more to put towards the main lifts.

I have a question related to this. I cannot do a chinup. But I can do like..... 6-7 jumping/negatives. When I get to the point where I can do a single chinup, should I switch to my single chinup, or should I keep doing jumping ones?

Single, followed by several negatives. Try three sets across, for as many reps as you can do for those sets. Try to increase reps and decrease the effort of jumping workout to workout.

If you can't do chin-ups when you can get to 1 chin-up put the bar in an easily accessible area. Thoughout the day do a single chin-up and before long your chin-ups will go up.

just do them at the end of your workouts.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
    I have a question related to this. I cannot do a chinup. But I can do like..... 6-7 jumping/negatives. When I get to the point where I can do a single chinup, should I switch to my single chinup, or should I keep doing jumping ones?
    use a chair.

do them frequently.

do iso holds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast