starting strength gym

Thread: Training question

Default Training question

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I train with something pretty close to what you guys do here at starting strength.I little different I guess. I really want to add a few things to my program but not sure how to do it.
    I lift M-W-F and want to incorporate chins/dips to my work out. Problem is I have no space to fit it in but maybe at the end(I already run about 45 mins). At the end of my work out though Im shot and really cant do many chins or dips.
    Is it ok to say in the morning do chins and dips and some hours later to do a normal routine? Will I jeopardize gains in any way? I think it would be bad to do these on off days and would interfere with recovery so I wanna do em on training days.
    Thanx for any input

Do you work 60+ hours a week? Have a 45 minute commute to your gym? Otherwise, workouts can take as much as 2 hours or longer. You might currently feel too worn out at the end of the workout to do anything extra, but your work capacity is something that is trained, and it does improve over time. If you have to split it, do the extras later in the day rather than before. Not that doing them before will kill your gains, but you just shouldn't pre-fatigue yourself prior to hitting your main lifts, without a good reason to do so.

nah I work 40 and my gym is at my house. I remember Rip saying in the book normal routines taking 45 mins to an hour or something close. Seems to be about right for me at least because after the heavy lifts (adding weight always)Im basically done..maybe trying to start real small with the chins and dips I can progress after time. Ill probably try that instead of seperating them.

What your saying makes sense. to do them after. Im just concerned about the recovery proccess starting after heavy lifting and then being interupted with chins and dips.

Use some common sense and see how you feel. If it begins inhibiting your lifting, back off a bit.