starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: deadlift question

Default deadlift question

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    6 months post recovery l4-l5 disc herniation. i've been deadlifting according to rip's program where i'm now at 235 lb x 2 sets of 5. i've got a bit of a mental block bc that's how i hurt my back (315 lb x 3 x 5).

for a background, all of my other lifts are on par with where i want to be for the moment (obviously). 225 x 3 x 5 - bench, 295 x 2 x 5 - squat, 145 x 3 x 5 - standing oh press, 155 x 3 x 5 - oh squat, 160 x 3 x 5 - hang clean

does anyone have any experience with this in order to get over my mental block. p.s. i'm 5'7" 170 lbs) and not looking to compete in powerlifting. most important is to not get injured again. thank you.

Uh, Rip's program only involves one set of deadlifts.

he told me to do 3 x 5 until i reached 225, then 2 x 5 until 275, then 1 x 5. just what i was told. when i hurt my back originally, if that's what you're referring to, i was not on rip's program

Quote Originally Posted by ryno06 View Post
    he told me to do 3 x 5 until i reached 225, then 2 x 5 until 275, then 1 x 5. just what i was told. when i hurt my back originally, if that's what you're referring to, i was not on rip's program
    Oh, when you say "Rip's program", most people are going to assume you mean SS.

sorry, this was just some advice he gave me based on my prior lifting and injury.

either way, i'm looking for someone who has been through this kind of back injury and was able to get themselves deadlifting like a real man!!! 235 to me is not real at my weight and strength

According to that glaymo honeybadger I'm not a real man due to height restrictions (although he has an open invitation to test drive my skill set) but I am pulling almost close to my younger PR again despite numerous herniations, degenerations, osteoarthritations, etc. Also been training folks for more than a decade. But according to honeybadger we're all peons. Alas, ambien prevents me from expressing my deepest wishes to that bag of mule shit at this time.

Speak of what you need to speak so that we may be of greater assistance to you. There are a plethora...pleth..ple...plethoraaaa of mental blocks regarding such things. Spill your can of beans and other flavors will be added to the pot. We'll make peon bean soup and feed it to honeybadger without blowing it cool.

Quote Originally Posted by f4thpathway View Post
    According to that glaymo honeybadger I'm not a real man due to height restrictions (although he has an open invitation to test drive my skill set) but I am pulling almost close to my younger PR again despite numerous herniations, degenerations, osteoarthritations, etc. Also been training folks for more than a decade. But according to honeybadger we're all peons. Alas, ambien prevents me from expressing my deepest wishes to that bag of mule shit at this time.

Speak of what you need to speak so that we may be of greater assistance to you. There are a plethora...pleth..ple...plethoraaaa of mental blocks regarding such things. Spill your can of beans and other flavors will be added to the pot. We'll make peon bean soup and feed it to honeybadger without blowing it cool.

I apologize for not being much of a help. I get mental blocks at different weights, but never because I've been injured before, which I have no doubt will take a lot more will power to get over.

Hi Ryno,

not sure it will be much help for you, but I've gone through something similar, so I thought I'll tell you what I did.
    First of all, I didn't suffer herniation. I just hurt my back big time on the last rep of a 275# x5 set. It felt like something ripped in the lumbar area, under the left kidney. I swear I actually heard the fibers snapping one by one, but probably it's just my mind adding details to the recollection of the accident.
    Anyway, despite the pain I managed to get back home, exploiting the fact that my body was still warm, but once it cooled off there was pretty much nothing that I could do, apart from laying in bed.
    I started squatting the bar after four days (it was hard), which proves it was not that serious an injury, and got back to deadlifting after a couple of weeks.

As the weeks went by, and I approached again the weight that had hurt me, I got a bit scared (I'm no lionheart). In the end, on the day when I had to do 275, I decided to just aim to lift it once. I told myself it would not matter if I could not lift it five times: "just do it once, and see how it goes. If it feels good, try another rep".

I also told myself that as soon as I felt the tiniest change in my back's position, my lumbar arch loosening just a smidgen, I would drop the weight. I promised myself I would not try to be a hero or to tough it out. I would just drop the wegiht, and try again next time.

Basically, I tried to lower my expectations as much as possible, so that anything I could do, even a single rep, would be good. It worked for me, because I work better with pressure off. I don't mind admitting that the weights scare me, and I accept that a lot of people would call that a wimp attitude. Once I accept that, lifting feels easier, and literally any result is a success of sort,

Of course, if you have a different attitude to lifting, this approach might not be good for you.

Hope this helped.

IPB

starting strength coach development program
    Don't be afraid man. You were hurt - you did your homework a.k.a rehab. There's no reason to be afraid you did what you were supposed to and it's time to go to the next level. I'm pretty sure you will be fine.

Look at this video:

Ed Coan lifts 750 with an injured back

Just go for it. We are all with you.
    Last edited by Rusi; 06-07-2011 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Spelling Coan with small letter - God I'm sorry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast