starting strength gym

Thread: Nerve injury while stretching?

Default Nerve injury while stretching?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi guys

A few days ago while I was stretching my hamstrings fairly intensely (but not agressively), and I felt a sharp "nerve-like" pain near/on the outer tendon of my hamstring (behind the knee).

Today I've noticed that stretching to a slightly lesser intensity now brings this pain back, and weirdly enough, a similar nerve-like pain arises at the bottom of my vastus medialis muscle when I squat down ass-to-grass with my bodyweight (when my calf pushes against my hamstring).

Anyone experienced something similar to what I'm describing?

this is exactly why i quit doing passive stretches.....it can be easy to over do it and fuck something up. this same thing happened to me last year, it took a few months to get better...
    i didnt mess with it for a while and it did get better bit slowly. basically you overstretched it. (nonscientific explanation i know). now all of my "flexibility work" occurs "actively"- i dont force any stretches at all... i move myself into the stretch as part of basic range of motion drills (pushups, squats, pullups, side bends, stuff like that. Dont force stretches, they can fuck you up bad. Another reason I dont do yoga..seriously, i know more people who have fucked themselves up from yoga by forcing stretches and such....
    V

I've had a real screwed up back in the past, and unfortunately I have experienced 'nerve like' pain when doing hamstring stretches. It was actually the first sign I had a herniated disc building up and it was around about a month before I had an injury and a real problem.

Could be nothing, but watch the spinal flexion when you're doing hamstring stretches. Laying in a doorway with a foot propped up is a good but inconvenient way to stretch without irritating you back.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    It was actually the first sign I had a herniated disc building up and it was around about a month before I had an injury and a real problem.
    This scares the shit out of me! I sit down for very long periods of time sometimes and I assumed my back soreness was attributed to muscular fatigue. I am making an effort to avoid straining my back. And yes, my back was in lfexion during the stretch. Like vivek advises I no longer stretch intensely.

...people often confuse their "strained hamstring" as a leg injury whereas in fact it is a bulging disc pressing on the nerve that refers pain into the posterior leg causing the muscle to tighten up and feel strained.
    Worrying

Try the nerve flossing trick. It's said to be a wonderful solution for some.

http://spinalcaredirectory.com/use-s...nd-nerve-pain/

Ive gotten pretty good at managing my chronic sciatica. I find walking at least 15-20 mins a day keeps it in check. Any time i fail to get that in, the next day i wake up with bad sciatica and limited rom. Ive started adding spinal flossing and it feels great.

When mine was really bad, I agree walking was good. Also...doing "B" helped...but "A" aggravated my problem. Doing the arch from "B" where you are doing the 'cobra stretch' or 'McKenzie Extension' is what helped me out the most. The PT I was seeing at the time recommended doing something like "B" or a standing or lying version of extension like that to follow every back flexion stretch once those were incorporated in towards the end of the whole deal.

OP sounds like he's more or less normal and just getting some twinges...which is a great time to evaluate your activities and make sure your form is good. If you keep getting them or if they get worse, which you might notice in the morning...then it's time to take a couple weeks break all together and just walk around IMO. Sounds like being a pussy but trust me if you can tell a disc problem is looming your total time to being back normal will be less if you don't try to push through it because that won't work.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm taking all of this info home, thanks guys.