starting strength gym

Thread: Let's Talk "WUP"

Default Let's Talk "WUP"

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I've spent a lot of time that I could have spent trying to get laid, educating myself about exercise programming and creating examples to see if I understand the concepts. But alas! WUP (or Weekly Undulating Periodization) somewhat eludes me.

I am of the belief that 5/3/1 is an example of WUP:

5/3/1 is a four week mesocycle, 1 year long macrocycle - basically doing the same shit ad nauseam until no more gains. Although Wendler frequently suggests sticking to one setup (eg, BBB, Triumvirate, or the exercise selection for accessory work) for 2 mesocycles before evaluating whether it's worked or not - in which case, there's the potential for more than one macrocycle.

But back to WUP, because the reps vary each week on 5/3/1 (5's week, 3's week, 5/3/1 week, 5's deload), 5/3/1 is WUP in the most basic sense.

I'm trying to put WUP onto paper, in order to create something (relatively high volume throughout) that allows for BOTH weekly progression (in terms of volume/tonnage) across a 4 week mesocycle for the big lifts. So far I have:

(sets/reps)
    Week 1:
    5x5 @ 73-76% of max

Week 2:
    6x4 @ 75-79% of max

Week 3:
    7x3 @ 82-86% of max

Week 4:
    Attempt a new 5, 4 or 3RM PR to recalculate for next mesocycle.
    Any thoughts? Am I understanding the principles of WUP correctly?

There are alot of ways to do this. What you have as an example would be a strength phase, although you don't have alot of variation in reps.
    WUP is just a concept of undulation. YOu can use it in a broader sense.
    Preparatory/hypertorphy
    5-10 reps
    Strength
    3-6 reps
    repeat or peak

What you have written down is basic western periodization boiled down to 3 weeks.

You could try
    5's -A PR with load drops for volume
    5s- about 90% of 5rm do what it takes ?load drops or repeats to get 25 total reps
    3s a 3rm with load drops
    5's Same as week 2
    GO for a 4-6rep max with drop sets.

Basically you are undulating weekly here, one week is high intensity trying to hit a rep max, the next week you are just accumulating volume with 5's. When your body needs a deload you will get less back off sets. that's your deload.