starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stalling/regressing on the TM - what to do?

Default Stalling/regressing on the TM - what to do?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    22 y/o male
    116kg 256lbs
    196cm 6 feet 5

So basically i've stalled on my lower body lifts or actually regressed by the looks of it these last few weeks. This is very frustrating because i have high ambitions for my strength training, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Here are the last couple of weeks of my training with a few top sets filmed. I've been adding 2.5kilos/5lbs every volume and intensity day. I started the texas method on the last of september 2014, with a 165kg/364lb x 5 low bar back squat and a 160kg/353lb x 5 deadlift. Unfortunetly i've had to make the switch to high bar because of my elbows.

------------------------
    Week 24 2015
    Monday
    High bar squats 170kg/375lbs x 5 sets x 5
    RDL 122,5kg/270lbs x 3 sets x 8

Wednesday
    High bar squats 127,5kg/281lbs x 2 sets x 5

Friday
    High bar squats 195kg/430lbs x 5RM
    Deadlift 225kg/496lbs x 3RM
    Reverse hyper bw x 2 sets x 15
    ------------------------------------
    Week 25 2015
    Monday
    High bar squats 172,5kg/380lbs x 5 sets x 5
    RDL 125kg/275lbs x 3 sets x 8

Wednesday
    High bar squats 130kg/287lbs x 2 sets x 5

Friday
    High bar squats 197,5kg/435lbs x 5RM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwQRJr5XDwU
    Deadlift 227,5kg/502lbs x 3RM
    Reverse hyper bw x 2 sets x 15
    ----------------------------------------
    Week 26 2015
    Monday
    High bar squats 175kg/386lbs x 5 sets x 5 (these felt significantly heavier than the prior week's volume squats. Very hard to complete.)
    RDL 125kg/275lbs x 3 sets x 8

Wednesday
    Front squats 140kg/307lbs x 1, 160kg/353lbs x 1, 180kg/397lbs x 1
    Upper back extensions bar x 2 sets x 10 reps

Friday
    High bar squats 200kg/441lbs x 4RM(failed fifth rep. switched to 3RM coming weeks)
    Deadlift 230kg/507 x 3RM (all out grinder almost passed out. very rounded back, especially upper back, so decided to switch to 2RM coming weeks)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Week 27 2015
    Monday
    High bar squats 177,5kg/391lbs x 5 sets x 3 (Despite the lowered number of reps per set these felt just as heavy as last weeks 5x5)
    RDL 130kg/287lbs x 3 sets x 8

Wednesday
    Beltless front squats 140kg/309lbs x 3 sets x 3

Friday
    High bar squats 202,5kg/446lbs x 3RM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHgPMuyZTbY (5kg up in two weeks but a 2 rep drop-off, this i consider a stall or actual regression. very unsatisfied)
    Deadlift 232,5kg/513lbs x 2RM (Better than last week as far as form goes but still much rounding in the upper back)
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry in advance for the clutter of text, but i felt that if i gave as detailed of an OP as possible it might be easier to diagnose my problem.
    Last edited by Hexagon; 07-05-2015 at 03:17 PM.

Things to try. Decrease volume day weight. Take a deload week. Swap to 1.5kg weight jumps. Take some cell tech.

Agree with decreasing volume day weight. Your last succesful 5rm had you doing 5x5 at 90% of this which is too high. Reset to 85% and increase every other week.

Thanks guys, that's what i thought. I got too greedy i guess, trying to push my 5x5 up to a respectable number. Will follow the 85% rule from now on. Are the newly incorporated front squats on light day at an adequate weight? Belted 1RM is 180kg so 140kgx3x3 works out to about 77% of 1rm, albeit beltless

Quote Originally Posted by scwot View Post
    Agree with decreasing volume day weight. Your last succesful 5rm had you doing 5x5 at 90% of this which is too high. Reset to 85% and increase every other week.
    Would the 85% rule still apply now that my friday features a 3rm instead of a 5rm? Or is the percentage lowered because of the increased weight?

Volume day should be a weight that causes intensity day to increase. The weight lifted on volume day is of little consequence so long as it is driving the desired adaptation. Percentages are a guide, not a hard and fast rule. Don't get married to 85%, just realize the role of each day and progress in an appropriate fashion. Your front squat is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Volume day should be a weight that causes intensity day to increase. The weight lifted on volume day is of little consequence so long as it is driving the desired adaptation. Percentages are a guide, not a hard and fast rule. Don't get married to 85%, just realize the role of each day and progress in an appropriate fashion. Your front squat is fine.
    The problem is i don't know what weight drives progress on intensity day lol. I'm not experienced enough for that. My intuition tells me i've been going a little too crazy on the volume weight progression though since literally everything feels heavier than it did 4 months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Hexagon View Post
    Would the 85% rule still apply now that my friday features a 3rm instead of a 5rm? Or is the percentage lowered because of the increased weight?
    As Cody said it's not a rule. There was a survey on the site a few years ago and 85% (of 5RM) came out as about the sweet spot for TM. This tailled down to low 80's during the end of TM progression which is why I said to increase VD bi-weekly as this will gradually lower your VD to ID % over time.

The problem is i don't know what weight drives progress on intensity day lol. I'm not experienced enough for that. My intuition tells me i've been going a little too crazy on the volume weight progression though since literally everything feels heavier than it did 4 months ago.
    Well, it will never feel light, lol. For now, I think scwot has a fine recommendation of increasing volume day weight every other week. If you continue to stall you can "run out" intensity day as described in PPST3.

starting strength coach development program
    You do. You completed 197.5x5 so 85% is 167.5. (I'm over simplifying it a little bit as you've built up fatigue and if you did a deload week you'd probably easily beat this, but it gives you a starting point).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast