• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    5'6.25", 170 lbs, 32 years old

Last lifts
    Squat- 3 x 5 320 lbs
    Bench- 3 x 5 220 lbs
    Deadlift- 1 x 5 330

Press- 3 x 5 110 lbs

Last session I didn't feel physically equipped for my 335 pull. I pulled about 6 inches and based on the feel put it down and called it a day. I don't think I was recovered from the session two days prior. If this is the case, and it's time for phase 2, my squat will catch my deadlift almost immediately. I know those ratios are not correct. What do I do?

Tell us about your grip.

Index finger at the knurling. Double overhand, no straps for 2 warmup sets. Been using straps for working set since 315.

Do you have short arms?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Nieveen View Post
    Last session I didn't feel physically equipped for my 335 pull.
    At the risk of seeming glib, that's your problem right there. You put only 15 pounds less than that on your back and squatted it 3x5 earlier in the workout. It's very unlikely you couldn't pick it up. Picking stuff up is way easier that squatting it, for almost everyone

If it's not a matter of just nutting up, post a video of your squat and deadlift. If they're that similar you're probably doing one or both of them wrong.

The distance from my acromian process to the tip of my middle finger is about 39" measuring by myself.

Here is a video of my last deadlift (330). By my own assessment my hips could be higher and I need to do a better job of maintaining lumbar extension through the ROM.

This is a video of the squat from the same day (315)

315 Squat - YouTube

What were your starting numbers, and how did you progress the squat and the deadlift?

If you didn’t push the deadlift hard enough at the beginning you messed up.
    Last edited by Eric Schexnayder; 09-28-2023 at 11:59 AM.

It’s hard to say what my true starting numbers were. My back was really bothering me from June-mid august. I thought I had the issue figured out, so was progressing with what I thought was an appropriate intensity. I felt good one day and did a 275 squat for 5. Next workout did 275 across, since then went up 5 lbs a workout. The same day I did 275 I pulled 245, and after that made 10 lb jumps until 315. Since then I’ve made 5 lb jumps.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Nieveen View Post
    Here is a video of my last deadlift (330). By my own assessment my hips could be higher and I need to do a better job of maintaining lumbar extension through the ROM.

This is a video of the squat from the same day (315)

315 Squat - YouTube
    Jerking the bar off the floor = not tight enough. Get set, lift chest, set low back, drive heels, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast