starting strength gym

Thread: Power Clean Drills: Keeping my arms straight and jumping.

Default Power Clean Drills: Keeping my arms straight and jumping.

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I'm trying to stamp out my arm-bend problem. Here's a light set where I simply jump with my arms straight for a few reps, then clean a couple. I don't know what to think. It all seems pretty crappy:

http://youtu.be/uyL1KtpAQAk

My arms seem to be straight during the drills, at least. But I tip my head back, and I jump backwards.

Then I'm back to anticipating the clean by bending my arms before I complete my jump.

Until I get in front of a coach, what cues should I work on?

For reference, here's Tom C.'s analysis of my last video: http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=40002.

Thanks for looking, and thank you for any comments.

Pick a point in front of you and don't take your eyes off it. Ever. Land in your same footprints. You are not keeping the bar in contact with your legs. Instead, you let the bar drift away, then pause as you bring the bar back to the legs and jump. Don't make this so complicated.

Firstly, start in the hang position. This is straight out of the third edition, by the way. Don't worry about pulling off the floor yet. Get into the jumping position with the bar in contact with your mid thigh. Then jump. As high as you can straight into the air. Leave the ground. Keep your arms locked and feel the bar launching into your hands as your upward motion stops, but the bar's does not. Don't throw your head back at any time to do this. Pick a point in front of you to watch. Land in the same spot. You must solve this here, before you try it from the floor.

Okay, thank you.