starting strength gym

Thread: Squat/DL Form Check needed to avoid another back injury.

Default Squat/DL Form Check needed to avoid another back injury.

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I've injured my lower back doing low squats on more than 1 occasion in the past, and am looking for a Form Check so I can perfect my form before I start putting on weight.

Height: 6'1"

Weight: 186lbs

Weight Being Used: 67lbs

0:00 - 0:30: Squats from side with 17lb bar

0:30 - 1:00: Squats from side with 67lbs

1:00 - 1:40: Squats from back with 67lbs, as close as I could manage

1:40 - end: Deadlifts with 117lbs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMPIpygYK1Q

Get some lifting shoes. Wear them. Take a slightly narrower stance, and shove your knees out when you initiate your squat.

You're also not going below parallel. It doesn't look like you're wholesale losing extension,but it also doesn't look like you're really getting your back tight. However, this could be because there's not enough load for you to get tight against, as well as the three things mentioned above.

If your back is healed enough that it's safe for you to begin squatting, it'll be safe at more than 67 lbs. I'd like to see a set with a bit more weight, and you implementing the stuff I mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Get some lifting shoes. Wear them. Take a slightly narrower stance, and shove your knees out when you initiate your squat.

You're also not going below parallel. It doesn't look like you're wholesale losing extension,but it also doesn't look like you're really getting your back tight. However, this could be because there's not enough load for you to get tight against, as well as the three things mentioned above.

If your back is healed enough that it's safe for you to begin squatting, it'll be safe at more than 67 lbs. I'd like to see a set with a bit more weight, and you implementing the stuff I mentioned above.
    Thanks I'll get a video up soon, I hope, albeit possibly without the shoes as that might take a few days/weeks.

About the shoes... do you refer more to a pair of Chucks as being acceptable, or should I find a true olympic weight lighting shoes with a 0.5-1" heel raise?

Actual lifting shoes. I like the 0.5" heeled Rogue Do-Wins for Starting Strength style focused training, but you'd be ok with a 0.75" heel as well.