starting strength gym

Thread: Switched to Lowbar

Default Switched to Lowbar

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Coach Rip,

I've read all your books. Love your stuff.

25yo male, 185, 6'0
    lifts:
    Best high bar bs is 390
    Best front squat is 330
    Best DL is 465
    Best low bar, so far, is an 'easy' triple with 350. Had two more in the tank.

Started LBs about 4 weeks ago after reading your article HBvsLB. I have a background in olift.
    LBs still feel heavier and, dare I say, harder than high bars. I assume this is just a product of doing HBs for so long. I find myself wanting to switch back to HBs often. The weight feels damned heavy out of the racks. Am I just lacking the necessary musculature? When I started LBs, 308/5 felt VERY hard, but I could do that same weight HB no problem.
    I like Lowbars and see the benefit. I'd appreciate any input you have, preferably something warm and fuzzy to make me feel better.

Thanks Coach!

N

You're a very good boy!! It is very good what you have done, switching from mean old inefficient HBSs to nice, efficient correct squats. Right now, you need to learn to drive your little hiney straight up so that Mr. Hamstrings can help you. Exaggerate all your cues for posterior chain recruitment, and remember that Uncle Rippy loves you.

Awesome! Looking forward to hitting my goals with the LB fueling my efforts.

N

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You're a very good boy!! It is very good what you have done, switching from mean old inefficient HBSs to nice, efficient correct squats. Right now, you need to learn to drive your little hiney straight up so that Mr. Hamstrings can help you. Exaggerate all your cues for posterior chain recruitment, and remember that Uncle Rippy loves you.
    That must have taken a lot of willpower to put out...

I can be warm and fuzzy if necessary.

starting strength coach development program
    It helps that the O.P.'s numbers at 6' and 185 are damn good.

I personally hate it when someone who is 45 pounds lighter with long legs can out squat out deadlift me by 10 pounds. I need to break 4/5 plates a side this summer. This shit has to stop.