starting strength gym

Thread: Follow up for Coach Wolf/ Busy Geology student "almost there"

Default Follow up for Coach Wolf/ Busy Geology student "almost there"

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey Coach, a while back I asked you about coming back to an LP from injuries and business. I have currently done so and made it roughly 5-15lbs past all my previous stalls. I was starting to see some slowing down again and then got caught up in another 3-4 week busy cycle of school/work. I tried to keep the detraining/ lack of sleep to a minimum during this time. When I asked you about continuing my LP in this previous post(for reference/also if another coach answers instead)
    https://startingstrength.com/resourc...y-student.html
    you said to train the LP as long as work/school allow it or I am proven other wise. How would you suggest I train for my LP when I find myself in sistuation of being to busy to optimally run my LP? The reason I ask is because even though I am past where I was I'm still roughly in the same spot, and squatting 290 3x5 was tough, I messaged Jordan over at BBM and he said if I stall out again I should reset one more time before moving on. That is still the plan, but since I got so busy with school that never got to happen and I am working back up to 295 from about a 5% reset here after finals are over. Getting off the LP is right around the corner and I am trying to cover all my bases from the first three questions, its just really mentally exhausting knowing I have to PR even heavier when I get so busy with school. Next semester is going to be even gnarlier so I am trying to knock this out a soon as I can.
    Thanks for the help.

Stats if needed
    age 25
    weight 176-177lbs
    BF 18% went down some how the past few weeks
    SQ 3x5 290lb
    BP 3x5 180lb
    OP 3x5 120lb
    DL 1x5 320lb

I think I am equally frustrated with your question as you are with your situation. I can't give you advice when it seems like the reality on the ground changes in ways you can't predict or account for ahead of time, and even when you know what's coming, it's not very good in terms of being able to actually run the LP under anywhere near optimal conditions.

All I know is that people who truly want to make it happen, do. You may be operating on less sleep than is ideal, but finding ~90 mins, three days a week and eating are not things you should have an issue with unless you're really truly a 0.00001% exception to the 99.9999% rule. Will your LP end a little sooner than ideal conditions? Maybe. But if you can't make it happen like everyone else somehow manages to do despite their busy and full lives, then I don't know what to tell you.

I say just do the damn thing, find a way to get it in three days per week, and then move on when you fail the same weight twice in a row after a reset on each lift.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    I think I am equally frustrated with your question as you are with your situation. I can't give you advice when it seems like the reality on the ground changes in ways you can't predict or account for ahead of time, and even when you know what's coming, it's not very good in terms of being able to actually run the LP under anywhere near optimal conditions.

All I know is that people who truly want to make it happen, do. You may be operating on less sleep than is ideal, but finding ~90 mins, three days a week and eating are not things you should have an issue with unless you're really truly a 0.00001% exception to the 99.9999% rule. Will your LP end a little sooner than ideal conditions? Maybe. But if you can't make it happen like everyone else somehow manages to do despite their busy and full lives, then I don't know what to tell you.

I say just do the damn thing, find a way to get it in three days per week, and then move on when you fail the same weight twice in a row after a reset on each lift.
    I will make it happen, thanks.

Excellent.

And, if you really are the 0.00001% exception whose life circumstances are truly impossible, then you can't run the LP anyway. Just do the best you can until circumstances improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Excellent.

And, if you really are the 0.00001% exception whose life circumstances are truly impossible, then you can't run the LP anyway. Just do the best you can until circumstances improve.
    I am definitely not in the 0.00001%, just married, work, and school, school takes a lot of time from me that I set aside to eat, lift, work, and spend with my wife. Its not just training that its taking a hit to finish out this last year, but I will get there.
    Thanks again.