starting strength gym

Thread: Squat 120KG/264LBS x 5 FORM CHECK

Default Squat 120KG/264LBS x 5 FORM CHECK

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I am 6"3/191 cm and 107KG/236LBS. I started Starting Strength before but discontinued because of school and because my technique was shabby. I started training seriously, by that I mean doing compound lifts and began SS, around late December. I stopped around February. So I got 5 weeks done. Then I started 6 weeks ago and my lifts are:

Squat - 3 x 5 x 120KG
    Deadlift - 1 x 1 x 150KG and 1 x 5 x 140KG
    Power Clean - 40KG
    Bench Press - 2 x 1 x 60KG and 3 x 5 x 56KG
    Press - 3 x 5 x 32KG

I think I have begun stalling on my deadlift since today I just couldn't lift much.

I came here to post my squat form. First of all on the first rep I was trying not to bump into the supports. My head was up (I'll stop squatting in front of mirror) and on the last rep I was doing somewhat of a goodmorning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHcKc00TbFo&

Tough angle for a form check. Please read the sticky. You are correct, you need to keep your chin down. I also suspect that that bar is too low on your back. In general, you need to get tighter. You are letting the bar show you who is boss instead of the other way around. Contract all of your musculature at the top. Hold tight the whole time.

There is no way you are benching 56 kg and pressing 32 kg at your size without an injury or some sort, or a serious misunderstanding of form. You are stronger than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Tough angle for a form check. Please read the sticky. You are correct, you need to keep your chin down. I also suspect that that bar is too low on your back. In general, you need to get tighter. You are letting the bar show you who is boss instead of the other way around. Contract all of your musculature at the top. Hold tight the whole time.

There is no way you are benching 56 kg and pressing 32 kg at your size without an injury or some sort, or a serious misunderstanding of form. You are stronger than that.
    No injury at all. I just microload. Pressing movements are difficult for me because of my armspan. I microload and I am so weak but my chest and shoulder have grown since I have done this program. I have been doing rear delt flies with dumbbells to strengthen my rear deltoids. I tried 60kg the other day and only managed 2 sets of 4 reps and then 1 set of 3 reps. I took like 5 minute breaks. I eat plenty and have been working on my sleep. I took this week off. Starting my 7th week today.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_c View Post
    No injury at all. I just microload. Pressing movements are difficult for me because of my armspan. I microload and I am so weak but my chest and shoulder have grown since I have done this program. I have been doing rear delt flies with dumbbells to strengthen my rear deltoids. I tried 60kg the other day and only managed 2 sets of 4 reps and then 1 set of 3 reps. I took like 5 minute breaks. I eat plenty and have been working on my sleep. I took this week off. Starting my 7th week today.
    Keep plugging away. It would be interesting to see a video of your bench.