starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat Asymmetry

Default Squat Asymmetry

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I've just de-loaded to address a handful of issues, most notably an asymmetry I've noticed only recently. Here's me doing 155x5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqefsRu8VBw

As you can see, even at a lighter weight, my left knee sort of caves in at the bottom. As a result, my right half is going a bit lower and this is fucking up the rest of the squat. As I go back up, my left side is like rising faster than my left. Look at how the bar is crooked:

That's pretty ugly. I have mild scoliosis -- my spine bends to the left slightly -- and I think that might be related? Any help here would be much appreciated.

This is very likely structural & not a technique issue. The scoliosis probably also means you've got a tilted pelvis.

I'd probably start with a good podiatrist & a leg length measurement.

I had the same problems as you have, but my posture was OK.
    As for me, I stopped doing Starting Strength and created my own routine. I reseted the weight(40kg) and started doing 5x5 squats thrice a week. I also added some unilateral work(split squats, single leg deadlifts, poliquin stepups) and hip thrust to strengthen the external rotators. I was doing planks after workout as well and it turned out that my stomach is weak. Dumbbell rows could also help(3x15)
    But what I think helped me the most is the change of technique. I really focused on tightening the upperback and core. Also I learned to control the weight on the descent. You must do it slow enough not to loose the tightness. I also narrowed my stance and put my toes inward a bit(this really helps) [PowerliftingToWin made a great video about squat, check it out, I found it really helpful]
    When it comes to pelvic tilt, buy weightlifting shoes. I tried to stretch and work on my mobility and nothing helped.

But if you have bad posture, you should do as John has adviced - visit a doctor/physicotherapist.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    This is very likely structural & not a technique issue. The scoliosis probably also means you've got a tilted pelvis.

I'd probably start with a good podiatrist & a leg length measurement.
    God dammit. I think you're right -- no amount of KNEES OUT cues for my left leg does anything.

Podiatrist? That's the type of doctor to visit in this situation?

Also, it's safe to keep squatting in the meantime right? I don't have any pain, and I'm not lifting all that heavy (before deloading I was at 200 lbs)

Quote Originally Posted by shipsterns View Post
    God dammit. I think you're right -- no amount of KNEES OUT cues for my left leg does anything.

Podiatrist? That's the type of doctor to visit in this situation?

Also, it's safe to keep squatting in the meantime right? I don't have any pain, and I'm not lifting all that heavy (before deloading I was at 200 lbs)
    Would certainly be easier to unfuck if it were a muscle imbalance & technique issue...I just don't think it is.

I suppose you should rule out "bad technique" first, though. This is hard without a real-time coach. 2 things to try: a) you overpronate like a motherfucker...so when you squat, imagine your feet are trying to grab cantelopes (I'm not high); b) think symmetry. For dudes, I've found "think of nothing but your dick moving in a straight line" actually helps with the asymmetry. See if these tricks help.

A podiatrist should definitely be able to measure your legs (& they are probably not ideologically opposed to the possibility of leg length discrepancies). A chiro/physical therapist should be able to measure, but many seem to dismiss structural lld (based on I-don't-know-what-data).

I think you're okay safety wise so long as you don't push the weight. Take a side-shot video. If you note that you are "helicoptering" the barbell (ie torsion under load) you are not at all safe and should not squat.

Maybe its the camera angle, but it looks like your left foot is at a lesser angle than your right foot. As your knees will track in the same direction as your foot angle, maybe you should try widening your left foot's angle slightly?

The screenshot you've chosen is also the odd one out, your other reps in the video (particularly reps 1, 2 and 4) show an almost perfectly horizontal bar at the bottom and less knee cave. On reps 3 and 5 your knees cave more and you have the tilted bar problem. If this was structural then why would reps 1, 2 and 4 be very good and only 3 and 5 wonky.
    Last edited by danlightbulb; 08-29-2014 at 04:52 PM.

* error post
    Last edited by John Hanley; 08-29-2014 at 04:56 PM.

Kyle Schuant Guest

Yes, it appears you are a mutant like me. Here, my left leg is shorter than my right, with a leftward scoliosis and all sorts of muscle imbalances etc. You're about a 3 on the mutant scale, I'm a 6.

As John says, you'll want someone to measure that, chances are you'll need a heel rise in your left shoe.

Until then, treat yourself as an intermediate, with weekly rather than session-by-session progression of resistance. My experience is that with everyone, the big moving muscles (quadriceps, etc) adapt quite quickly, and the small stabilising muscles (quadratus lumborum, etc) adapt more slowly, so that people end up with all sorts of odd twinges here and there. Mostly it's not an issue, but when there's a structural problem, it becomes a bigger issue. So you go more slowly to let the little muscles - including the muscles on the weaker side - catch up.

But really, get someone medical to have a look.

Interesting thread. I'm working out at a different location this week and next, and it has a mirror in front of me where my hone does not. I just noticed the degree of asymmetry in myself (favor right side, which is my stronger side). I've at the beginning of trying to fix it with form / technique adjustments, but the info in this thread may prove important to me. If it does seem relevent, thanks for the advice!

Devin

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by nated1 View Post
    Interesting thread. I'm working out at a different location this week and next, and it has a mirror in front of me where my hone does not. I just noticed the degree of asymmetry in myself (favor right side, which is my stronger side). I've at the beginning of trying to fix it with form / technique adjustments, but the info in this thread may prove important to me. If it does seem relevent, thanks for the advice!

Devin
    David, lots of folks squats are asymmetric, especially early on in their training careers. Most asymmetries are due to plain old hand/foot dominance, and are resolved over time with lots of perfect reps.

Some from-the-ass data: probably 5% of lifters I've worked with had a significant enough structural asymmetry that I recommended getting leg length checked. The grade 5+ mutants are rare.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast