starting strength gym

Thread: Suggestions for Training Approach Post Knee Surgery for 68 YO Geezer?

Default Suggestions for Training Approach Post Knee Surgery for 68 YO Geezer?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I had the arthroscopic surgery for my left medial meniscus flap tear yesterday, so that's done with, and seems to have gone well.

I threw away the crutched they gave me this morning, since they were a huge PITA, and I'm not experiencing much pain at all gimping around without them.

Took the surgical wrappings off today and covered the three punctures with bandaids, as per post-OP instructions. Put on a fresh TED compression stocking.

I owe SS for being able to do a full bodywieght squat on one leg, which comes in handy when you can't uses your other leg.

So what I'm wondering is how those of you in similar situations arranged your training for recover from the injury? What, how soon, how much, like that?

Thanks very much for any help!

I'll be glad to put this behind me. At my age, any surgery involving full body anesthesia is a bit...worrisome.

For the first couple weeks I did leg exercises that were recommended by my surgeon. I also resumed my upper body lifts within a couple days.
    Reviewing my training log I started rowing (C2 rower) 9 days after surgery, wall squats - 12 days, riding a bike every other day after 2 weeks.
    Started box squats with light weights 3 weeks post op and then back squats after one month. My first workout using back squats I worked up to 95 lbs for 10 reps and I slowly added weight from there for subsequent workouts.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by keeptryn View Post
    For the first couple weeks I did leg exercises that were recommended by my surgeon. I also resumed my upper body lifts within a couple days.
    Reviewing my training log I started rowing (C2 rower) 9 days after surgery, wall squats - 12 days, riding a bike every other day after 2 weeks.
    Started box squats with light weights 3 weeks post op and then back squats after one month. My first workout using back squats I worked up to 95 lbs for 10 reps and I slowly added weight from there for subsequent workouts.

Good luck!
    Thanks! That's very helpful.