starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motorless Treadmill Walking by Andy Baker

Default Motorless Treadmill Walking by Andy Baker

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Hello,

I recently read an article by Andy Baker where he recommends the practice of walking on a treadmill while its motor is turned off to simulate prowler work. I own a treadmill, tried it, and like it. My question has to do with programming. Andy recommends a 1 minute ON 1 minute OFF protocol for 10-15 minutes. If I wanted to do a 20 minute HIIT session twice a week using the motorless treadmill, would I do 10 minutes ON 10 minutes OFF (20 minutes elapsed) or 20 minutes ON 20 minutes OFF (40 minutes elapsed). I am a novice trainer using the SS novice program tailored for my age (59). I would like to add 1-2 sessions of HIIT work per week, but not too intense to curtail strength gains, so thinking of a 20 minute HIIT session. Thank you.

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

If you can sustain the activity for more than 10 minutes it is by definition not high intensity.

I like 30s on 60s off for 10-15 rounds.

You can refer to this article for examples on HIIT protocols:

https://startingstrength.com/article...r_reynolds.pdf

As a side note our trainers have burnt up more than one treadmill by doing this so while effective it may very well shorten the lifespan of your treadmill...

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Carter View Post
    If you can sustain the activity for more than 10 minutes it is by definition not high intensity.

As a side note our trainers have burnt up more than one treadmill by doing this so while effective it may very well shorten the lifespan of your treadmill...
    Yes...not so sure it is good for a motorized treadmill to be forced into motion by friction. It could screw up the motor and also the platform and rollers Also void any warranty.

I looked into this once, there is a an expensive motorless curved surface treadmill that simulates running. I beilieve it gets pretty mixed reviews.

My option, at least first would be something like Schwinn AD2 and just use an external timer while riding. Ride like a bat out of hell for 20-30 seconds with 60 second rest......10 rounds. 250 bucks.

A real nice option, the new Concept bike. Quality, like the rower.

Prowler...as mentioned in your article link.....always highly recommended. For many people, including me....impractical.

Join LA Ftiness or some other gym and use their equipment. Burn up their treadmills. 20$/mo Take sauna afterward.

I tried fast walking intervals from Gibala....and worked up to sprint intervals. Pounding messed up my back and hips. Not for old guys.

Brent is correct on treadmill destruction. You will need to have a sacrificial treadmill in your gym for this. I have two in my gym, one stays plugged in for normal use (i.e. dust collection) and the other is used for motorless / HIIT.

Brent is also right on intervals. You really won't need more than 10 rounds of 1 minute of WORK, so if you go 1:1 you are looking at a total of about 20 minutes of work.

If it is your own treadmill, tear it up, if it belongs to a gym then you can't do this.

Thanks for the HIIT article. Yikes, I don't want to break my treadmill, but without joining a gym, I don't have access to a prowler. I live in a city, crowded, lots of cars, but my street has a hell of a hill. I guess I could walk up (ON) and down (OFF) it for 10-20 minutes. Don't want to run as it's too harsh on my joints.

I will be happy to pull the motor out of anyone's treadmill if they don't want it in there and it still works.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

Last edited by Brent Carter; 03-22-2018 at 07:37 AM.

"We don’t do kipping pull-ups, kettlebell swings, burpees, thrusters, softball throws, or anything of that nature for anaerobic conditioning, because it’s gay."

Will need to remember this next time I'm doing conditioning with my friend.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    I will be happy to pull the motor out of anyone's treadmill if they don't want it in there and it still works.

Perhaps just look for a non working treadmill on CL.....and offer to take it away.

Could go to a fitness store and see what broken treadmill they have in the back.

Lots of options.

If you want to spend 5K....Woodway, Rogue, Speedfit. All curved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast