starting strength gym

Thread: Programming without the press

Default Programming without the press

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    How would you programme a novice linear progression without the press?

I've got dodgy left elbow and looking back over previous trends in my log it seems that pressing may be a possible cause so I'd like to eliminate it for a month to see if it still persists.

Thanks for your time.

Replace it with incline presses or close grip bench presses for 3x5 and see what happens....not sure it will work but it'll probably be ok for the month. Be careful of inflammation building up in the pec/delt tie in area. Sometimes it happens with chest work is done with high frequency....not to everyone, but I've seen it a few times on guys who have experiemented with high frequency bench programs.

Have you tried other remedies for fixing the elbow first? I am not a fan of eliminating the press from a strength program, so make sure you try some high dose ibuprofen/ice regimen, massage, etc.

I've got a friend who I am coaching in the SS program. He can't press anymore because his entire forearm goes numb , from what I can google it seems like it might be nerve related.

I've told him to see a doctor about it, but until then I've got to replace press with something else and incline bench press was a good idea, thanks!

Hmm, sometimes when I press heavy I get a really prickly feeling in my left forearm, and the pain I get severely weakens my grip and makes it uncomfortable to hold onto things... does this maybe suggest to anyone that my problem is primarily a nerve one, then?