starting strength gym

Thread: Is the Starting Strength right for me

Default Is the Starting Strength right for me

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Mark,,
    I just ordered Starting Strength and I`ve read all the info on it online but I`m still thouroughly confused as to whether I should do the program. The problem is I`m not a beginner or novice as I`m 36 and have been lifting somewhat consistently although haphazardly at times on abbreviated Hardgainer style routines since I was 20 or so. I`m 6`3 210 . I`ll admit my strength is weak and I never truly felt my gains matched all the time/effort I`ve put into lifting. My squat is 285x5,bench 165x5, military press in rack(low ceilings in my cellar home gym so 140x5, trap bar deadlift 235x5 and curl 100x5.. These are all higher than when I started years ago and over the years I have put on weight but for all this time, I would have expected to be bigger and stronger. I`m just an average joe, not a bodybuilder or competitivie athlete. I follow routines from the late John Christy who is very similar to your recommended strategies and Brooks Kubik but the 5x5 they recommend is either one top set or in John`s case 3x5 but only once per week for each exercise for two or three sessions a week..Example workout would be Workout A then....Workout B .....or workout A, workout b, workout c each with one big lift...Help..I am so confused ..Is starting strength for me at this stage of my life?? Squatting close to 300 pounds..is three times too much? I would appreciate any guidance, thanks for your time

SS:BBT is our book that details the specifics of the performance of the five basic barbell exercises. In it is included a simple linear progression-based workout for a novice. PPST is our book that describes the progress of a lifter's adaptation to a strength program and why, and how your individual level of adaptation determines the type of training program that will work for you. Both are quite useful books.

if you can do the program and continuing to add weight each workout then the program is for you. using BB routines or soccer coaches trying to make their players strong, or (in my case) doing what everyone else in the military or wrestiling team did for 4+ years doesnt mean you are not a "novice". a lot of people think "novice" is a term to describe the weak or barbell inept.
    "novice" as described in Rippetoe's work (paraphrasing) is someone who can make linear progressions from workout to workout.
    this means that "novice" is not a negative term but one that means you can get stronger faster than anyone who REQUIRES more advanced training to cause adaptation