starting strength gym

Thread: Benching problem

Default Benching problem

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Had to move to a new gym, got no other choice of location to workout atm.

They have no proper place to bench press, I've tried doing it in the power cage which is ok, except of course the bar can only come to within an inch of my chest when properly arched. Is this still better than using the smith machine?

Obviously.

Shim your bench up up four ten pound weights. Should get the height just about right.

I assume that you cannot take the safety pins out of the cage entirely? With the "leave one in the tank" philosophy (and a spotter if you feel you're going to be really pushing it), you should be okay.

If the safeties are permanent, though, you're probably still better off this way.

I've bench pressed alone in a power rack for many years. You should be able to rig it up right. You want the bar to touch your INFLATED chest without touching the safety catches, but close enough that with a deflated chest the bar rests on the catches. Use some small plates under the bench to raise it up a bit.

starting strength coach development program
    Just keep doing heavy deadlifts and cleans. You will fill into your new power cage very nicely.