starting strength gym

Thread: Novice on limited schedule

Default Novice on limited schedule

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi
    I have been doing the novice program for 6 months but my work schedule is gradually eating into my workouts and I am only sensibly able to complete two of the exercises without rushing - I have about 45mins per workout.
    Which would be less detrimental, to cut the working sets to 2x5 to save time or add an extra day? - something like

Mon; Squat (3x5) Bench/Press (3x5)
    Wed; Squat (2x5 80%) , Dead/Clean,
    Thur; Bench/Press (3x5), Chin (3xF)
    Sat; Squat (3x5), Bench/Press(3x5)

I love this program and really dont want to screw with it, but I would be grateful for any experienced guidence about which is the lesser of the two evils.

just incase my stats:
    44 years old, bodyweight 80kg,
    Squat 112kg for 5
    Bench 70kg for 5
    Dead 115 for 5
    Clean 62 for 3
    Press 50 for 5
    so I think I still have someway to go on the novice program

Thanks for any help or advice.

Another post today posed the same question essentially. You do what you can. This looks okay.

Perhaps the Deadlift/Power Clean can be switched to Thursday, and then pressing from Thursday moved to Wednesday. That's what I would do.

I assume you don't have more time on Saturday's? Because you're only doing a pulling movement once a week, or in other words you're only power cleaning twice a month.

Quote Originally Posted by JLascek View Post
    Perhaps the Deadlift/Power Clean can be switched to Thursday, and then pressing from Thursday moved to Wednesday. That's what I would do.

I assume you don't have more time on Saturday's? Because you're only doing a pulling movement once a week, or in other words you're only power cleaning twice a month.
    Thanks for the advice JLascek. Yes I was concerned about this also. I included the chins to make the balance of exercises almost equal to that in the advanced novice program in PP. But since my post I have actually decided to split two full workouts over the week a follows:
    Mon: Squat and Bench
    Wed: Cleans
    Thurs: Squat and Press
    Sat: Deads and Chins

Its just simpler for me to get my head around and since I'm older recovery from the squats is starting to become an issue so I figured this would be a reasonable balance. I have some time on Wed to add another pressing movement if neccessary. I'm going to run with this for a couple of months and then post the results. Thanks again for the input I really appreciate it. Its really frustrating not being able to find the time for such a straightforward program