starting strength gym

Thread: Vertebra compression fracture

Default Vertebra compression fracture

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Coach

A couple weeks ago, my mom was working in the backyard and fell off a ladder. One of the vertebrae in her middle back is suffering from a compression fracture. It's compressed about 30%. The doc gave her the options of surgery via balloon kyphoplasty, where they fill up the fracture with a cement and restore the vertebra's original height, or rest for 2-3 months. Resting won't restore the vertebra's original height, but my mom is choosing this option since kyphoplasty is a new technique and there aren't any long term studies. She also seems to be doing much better with each passing day.

I was wondering if you had any experience with this type of injury. Do you think my mom will be able to squat and deadlift again in 2-3 months? Would it be helpful for her?

Thanks

My mom had the same injury, although it wasn't diagnosed until after it had healed. It healed. Your mom is right: older people shouldn't have surgery unless it is actually necessary. In this case it isn't. Surgery is hard enough on younger people, and the older you get the more it takes out of you.