starting strength gym

Thread: squat and deadlift form checks

Default squat and deadlift form checks

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    This is super light weight, it's embarrassing really, I signed to a "strength and conditioning" gym that did everything with me except squats, had my squat drop from 295 3x5 to 225 3x5, in a bit more than a month...

so basically i'm just getting my strength back up, pretty fast actually.

squats:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8WMJhqrFKI

deadlifts:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbVdw6_L7Q0

squats are borderline ok, maybe even a bit high. 4th rep is high for sure. knees caving in but not as badly as they used to, i'm dropping my progress now from 10lbs/workout to 7.5lbs/workout.

much appreciated.

Hard to tell if your squats are high from this angle, but I would estimate that a few of them are. Your knees are kind of wobbly as well, but the squats are fine overall. Just make sure you're hitting depth, and try to keep your knees shoved out.

As for the deadlifts, you're performing five singles instead of a set of five. After each rep, reset your back, take a big breath and pull again. Don't let go of the bar. Don't stand up. You shouldn't be resting for more than a few seconds in between reps. If you have to lower the weight to accomplish this then do so.

It occurs to me that your stance looks wiiiide (I threw a few extra I's in there to show how wiiiide I think it is). It kinda looks like rather than caving, your knees are trying to go where they'd rather be. Maybe try your next workout with a narrower stance, like a good 6" or so narrower, and see if that fixes it. That's my amateur analysis; I hasten to point out that I lack any coaching experience, or much experience at all beyond my own.

I agree with those two dudes. Bring in your stance on the squat, get an inch more depth, and keep your hands on the bar when you're DLing.