starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Male 5'5 167lbs (currently cutting to 160 from 180)

325/330/335x5 Squats - YouTube

Here are 3 sets of heavy squats at 325, 330, and 335x5 in the span of 3 weeks.

I just got Garage Gym Warrior program and I want to test my 1RM. I am thinking ~390lbs, but I am pretty sure I am going to have to slow my decent speed when going for doubles or singles. What other things do I need to fix on my squat? Sorry about the last 2 set angles, you probably can't see much on that.

Thank you!

You are too loose. Tighten your back up from top to bottom. Your knees are sliding too far forward - particularly at the bottom which is costing you elastic rebound out of the bottom. You need to lock out at the top - from the time you unrack to the time you're done, it looks like your knees never lock out. You are shallow, particularly at weight. Get a set of film from the back 45 degree angle. Also, in the first video, what's up with the black things that look like they're projecting up from your hands?

Yeah, I need to work on staying as a tight as I can. That should help the knee slide?

As for lock out, at what point is the lockout vs hyper extending your knees? I am pretty much standing up without locking out my knees. I agree that my knees are a little too bent on my first rep of the sets.

I will try and get that angle for my next recordings!

The black things are versa grip things. I just use them backwards as wrist wraps.

Thanks!

In addition to what's been said, your stance is too narrow. Widen your heels by an inch or two.

Lockout is when your knees are locked out, not hyperextended.

Keeping your back tight is a separate issue from knee slide. Prioritize keeping a tight back. Then set your knees over your toes and finish your descent with your hips.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeJay View Post
    Yeah, I need to work on staying as a tight as I can. That should help the knee slide?

As for lock out, at what point is the lockout vs hyper extending your knees? I am pretty much standing up without locking out my knees. I agree that my knees are a little too bent on my first rep of the sets.

I will try and get that angle for my next recordings!

The black things are versa grip things. I just use them backwards as wrist wraps.

Thanks!
    Hyper extension of the knee is an injury; do not get to that point.