starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift Check

Default Deadlift Check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hello everyone!

Here's the deadlift video (sorry for the long setup, I know I take my merry time).

Male, 24, 181cm / 5ft 12'', 78kg / 172lb.

This was supposed to be 122.5kg / 270lb X 5 X 1, but I only managed 2 reps.

Does my back look good on those pulls?

Also, if anything technically related to the video (angle, ligthing, etc) can be improved, please let me know!

Thank you for your time!

Your back looks pretty good, but you round a little bit when you finally start to pull. Fight to keep it flat.
    Based on the speed of the two you pulled, I think you could've pulled more.

Make sure the bar stays in contact with your legs the whole time, especially when you start the pull. You can see 'space' between the bar and your shins as you pull. I know you don't want to rip up your shins, but some knee socks or long pants can help with this.

I'd like to see a little more push out of the bottom. It looks like you're trying to do too much of a back extension. When you get ready to pull, think about pushing the floor away from you with your feet while maintaining your flat back.

It's odd that you got two reps, so tell me about your deadlifting program. How much weight have you been adding to the bar? What frequency have you been pulling? How has your bodyweight been doing?

First of all, thank you for the quick responses!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Grantham View Post
    Your back looks pretty good, but you round a little bit when you finally start to pull. Fight to keep it flat.
    Based on the speed of the two you pulled, I think you could've pulled more.
    I gave everything I've got to keep it flat. That third rep wouldn't budge, but maybe I just gave up too soon, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Royce Nichols View Post
    Make sure the bar stays in contact with your legs the whole time, especially when you start the pull. You can see 'space' between the bar and your shins as you pull. I know you don't want to rip up your shins, but some knee socks or long pants can help with this.
    I have no problem dragging the bar on my legs, but maybe that initial air we can see is from a bad position. When I start pulling, the bar drifts away a bit but then it returns into contact with the legs.

I'd like to see a little more push out of the bottom. It looks like you're trying to do too much of a back extension. When you get ready to pull, think about pushing the floor away from you with your feet while maintaining your flat back.
    I don't really know what you mean by doing too much of a back extension. So the way for the 'push out' to occur more is to think about pushing the floor away from my feet?

It's odd that you got two reps, so tell me about your deadlifting program. How much weight have you been adding to the bar? What frequency have you been pulling? How has your bodyweight been doing?
    I'm adding 2.5kg for every successfull work-set of 5 pulled. I have day A and B, and have been doing deadlifts on day B. Some weeks it's twice, others it's once. I'm going to start training roughly 4 times a week, so the frequency will come up a bit.
    Sadly, my bodyweight has been stalling. I started at 65kg / 143lb 7 months ago and am now at the current 78kg / 172lb for about 2 months.

Yeah it could be from a bad start. Next session film it more from the side/front. You may be getting into your toes, as opposed to staying midfoot, which could be causing the drift. Also, the bar WANTS to drift. You may to work to keep it on your shins by using your lats. But what I mean is, it looks like you're trying to break the bar off the ground with your back, as opposed to using your legs. Pushing the floor away from you intitiates the movement with a knee extension, which is more powerful. The back angle is held in isometric contraction. So push legs while holding everything tight.

Why are you switching to 4 days? What were your starting DL weights? Fixing your weight stall is easy, add more carbs and fat. Tell me what you're eating. Are you doing gomad? Can you afford McDs a couple times a week?

Yeah it could be from a bad start. Next session film it more from the side/front. You may be getting into your toes, as opposed to staying midfoot, which could be causing the drift.
    I pay attention to where I feel the weight on my feet, and make sure I'm balanced over midfoot.

Also, the bar WANTS to drift. You may to work to keep it on your shins by using your lats. But what I mean is, it looks like you're trying to break the bar off the ground with your back, as opposed to using your legs. Pushing the floor away from you intitiates the movement with a knee extension, which is more powerful. The back angle is held in isometric contraction. So push legs while holding everything tight.
    How do I look like I'm breaking off the ground with my back and not with my legs? I can't really tell how you noticed that.

Why are you switching to 4 days? What were your starting DL weights? Fixing your weight stall is easy, add more carbs and fat. Tell me what you're eating. Are you doing gomad? Can you afford McDs a couple times a week?
    I have more free time now and I want to use it in favour of training.
    I started with 40kg / 88lb a year ago. I feel like I could and should have progressed more on this lift.
    I'm eating as much as I can. Just yesterday I went to roughly 2L of milk plus 4 meals, all including carbs, fat and all the juicy goods (meatballs, pasta, hamburger, chicken sandwich, tuna sandwich, fruits and vegetables). If you need more specific information let me know.
    Not exactly doing GOMAD because I can't afford it, but I'm stuffing my face with as much semi-skimmed milk as I can.
    I can't afford McDonalds a couple times a week.

1. You take too long on your setup. I pull a set of 5 in the time you're taking to set up.
    2. The bar definitely drifts towards your toes. Don't let it. Think about bending the bar around your legs.
    3. Set your back and then push the floor away.
    4. You just quit. You could've pulled more.

Quote Originally Posted by Razraal View Post
    I pay attention to where I feel the weight on my feet, and make sure I'm balanced over midfoot.

your bar path tells me you're not. Film one from the side/front quarter. I need to see your shoulder position to make sure.

How do I look like I'm breaking off the ground with my back and not with my legs? I can't really tell how you noticed that.

your barpath and the sequencing is off. It looks like your back angle gets too vertical too soon, as opposed to keeping shoulders slightly in front of the bar a little bit longer while keeping the bar in contact with your legs.

I have more free time now and I want to use it in favour of training.
    I started with 40kg / 88lb a year ago. I feel like I could and should have progressed more on this lift.
    I'm eating as much as I can. Just yesterday I went to roughly 2L of milk plus 4 meals, all including carbs, fat and all the juicy goods (meatballs, pasta, hamburger, chicken sandwich, tuna sandwich, fruits and vegetables). If you need more specific information let me know.
    Not exactly doing GOMAD because I can't afford it, but I'm stuffing my face with as much semi-skimmed milk as I can.
    I can't afford McDonalds a couple times a week.

your bar path tells me you're not. Film one from the side/front quarter. I need to see your shoulder position to make sure.

your barpath and the sequencing is off. It looks like your back angle gets too vertical too soon, as opposed to keeping shoulders slightly in front of the bar a little bit longer while keeping the bar in contact with your legs.

OK, see if your recent food additions help. I would not add more training. I would stick to the program. I would see if you can get a job to fill up your free time so you can afford to eat more. Two MCds double cheeseburgers are about 1000 calories for $3.90. You really need to gain more weight.

Quote Originally Posted by royce nichols View Post

Your barpath and the sequencing is off. It looks like your back angle gets too vertical too soon, as opposed to keeping shoulders slightly in front of the bar a little bit longer while keeping the bar in contact with your legs.

Ok, see if your recent food additions help. I would not add more training. I would stick to the program. I would see if you can get a job to fill up your free time so you can afford to eat more. Two mcds double cheeseburgers are about 1000 calories for $3.90. You really need to gain more weight.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattlifts View Post
    1. You take too long on your setup. I pull a set of 5 in the time you're taking to set up.
    2. The bar definitely drifts towards your toes. Don't let it. Think about bending the bar around your legs.
    #4 ftw

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mattlifts View Post
    I think #1 and #4 are related. I feel like I need to stop overthinking and just fucking do the lift.

About #2, I have never thought about bending the bar around my legs. Thanks for that one!

I agree on #4. I gave up while the bar was budging (you can see the plates leaving the floor). The reason I gave up however was because I was afraid my back angle was too rounded.
    Last edited by Razraal; 07-31-2017 at 08:26 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast