starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back angle check

Default Back angle check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi all,
    Wanted to check squat form, particularly back angle on the last two reps and whether I'm leaning too far forwards. This is my final set with 120kg. Thanks

Squat form check - YouTube

Next time, please get a video from the rear 45 degree angle, it's easier to work with. From here, without doubt, you need to fix your head. You lift it and you lift it even more as the set progresses. You can see what that's doing to your ascent and your upper back. You need to work on controlling your knees more, too. They shouldn't go so far forward nor should they shoot back so soon (your stance may also be off).

Thanks for the quick reply and the pointers Jeff, much appreciated. I will work on head and knees.

Hi, went back down to 100kg and focused on pushing knees out and keeping head down. Any more feedback would be great:
    Squat form check - YouTube

You should keep your back (including your upper back) tighter. I also think your stance is just a little bit wide.

Equipment-wise: Find a different rack to squat out of if you can - that thing looks pretty crappy. Also, try to pull whatever rack you use a little further away from the wall. A lot of people (and you look like you're one of them), set up too vertical when they're too close to a wall.

Thanks Jeff will work on tighter back.

Equipment wise I normally use a power rack but both were in use so had to use this one today, you're right I do set up too vertical though so will address that. Any other pointers? Do knees look better positioned this time? Thanks

Hello again,
    Tried a narrower stance, focused on setting back and pushing knees out - could I have some feedback please? Also, I've uploaded my deadlift set with 147.5kg, again feedback would be great:
    Squat form check 3 - YouTube

Deadlift form check - YouTube

As a side note, when sharing progress videos, is it common courtesy to share in the original thread or post a new one, especially if new lifts are shared like above? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Hughes View Post
    Hello again,
    Tried a narrower stance, focused on setting back and pushing knees out - could I have some feedback please? Also, I've uploaded my deadlift set with 147.5kg, again feedback would be great:
    Squat form check 3 - YouTube

Deadlift form check - YouTube

As a side note, when sharing progress videos, is it common courtesy to share in the original thread or post a new one, especially if new lifts are shared like above? Thanks.
    A new thread per lift is common. If updating that lift, keep it in the same thread. Your knees might be a bit too far out - hard to tell from this angle which is the downfall of the rear 45. On some of your reps your hips rose and your back flattened, meaning you weren't getting much drive out of the hole. You undoubtedly felt this 'good morning' like movement. Focus on holding your set back throughout the lift and getting your hips back.

Squat: Your knees are traveling too far forward. Stop their forward progress earlier in the descent and hold them there. That'll help keep your hamstrings tight which will help you get out of the hole.

Deadlift: You don't get tight enough before your initial pull. For all subsequent pulls, you're not stopping and getting tight. Don't rush. Enjoy the suffering. Set the bar down, pull yourself tight and back into position, lock your back, and then pull.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks both for the comments, will work on them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast