starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hip joint injury

Default Hip joint injury

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Coach,

Last October, I strained a muscle that is below the gluteus maximus on the inner back of my leg. This was on the left side. I followed the protocol and was back to normal after about 6 weeks.

Recently, I strained the exact same muscle on the right side. I've been icing very frequently and following the rehab protocol again. I was wondering if you could take a look at my back squat and point out which form issue is causing this. I suspect I am going a little to deep with the style of squat I am trying to perform. The back squat portion begins at 23 seconds. The injury occurred on the third rep:

[youtube]kuS-TYOcTcw[/youtube]

Thank you for your time,

William

I see nothing wrong with the squats. Perhaps the injury occurred in another lift and you became aware of it on that set.

Is it possible that the injury is non-muscular? All I felt at the bottom was a small twinge. The pain wasn't very bad immediately.

Could be a fascial strain. Do you have an old hamstring injury in that area?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Could be a fascial strain. Do you have an old hamstring injury in that area?
    The only related injury that I can think of occurred in Oct. '08. It was the exact same injury, but on the left side. My brother has also had two injuries in the same place while squatting. Maybe its genetic (seems like a stretch).

Would it be a good idea to go get a massage in a few weeks after this injury has healed up to prevent the same injury from occurring on either side?

A hard massage is usually the first thing to try.

Have you ever come close to breaking the window?

A hard massage is usually the first thing to try.
    I found a massage therapist near my college. She charges $45 for a half hour of neuromuscular massage which is "specifically designed for soft tissue Injuries (muscles, ligaments & tendons) related to accidents, exercise and sports."

Would one question be enough or worth it? I'm on a very limited budget.

Quote Originally Posted by JLascek View Post
    Have you ever come close to breaking the window?
    No, I haven't. I don't think my weights bounce that high.

You want to ask a question or get the massage? I'd get the massage, pay close attention to what the therapist does, and then teach the dog to do it to you.

starting strength coach development program
    You want to ask a question or get the massage? I'd get the massage, pay close attention to what the therapist does, and then teach the dog to do it to you.
    Thanks coach. I'll get the massage. Would you recommend getting a book on neuromuscular massage? I've learned so much from your books and applied it pretty well so I feel like I could learn something like massage therapy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast