starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Today at the gym.

Default Today at the gym.

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    So today in the gym I was squatting 170# 3x5. When the biggest and definitely strongest guy in there comes over to me to give me some wisdom.

He says "Not many people squat like that"

I said "Most people are pussies, I'm doing Coach Rippetoes's Starting Strength and....."

He cuts me off and says "Oh of course, well your form is perfect"

Then he goes back to where he was to finish dead-lifting what I can only refer to as basically a small car. (A shit load of weight)

I don't care if the under-armour wearing bodybuilder types ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blpPA...eature=related ) or disco dancing suirrels ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrTqDKKeIdM ) give me weird looks when I'm doing my power cleans. Because I know soon that I will be able to break them in half, and that makes me feel good.

Thanks Rip.

And people actually criticize me for fucking with bodybuilders. The other guy hasn't got enough sense to be embarrassed.

Those videos almost made me puke...

I feel the same as you "The Junk". Walked up to these three guys on the squat rack yesterday who were doing triceps dips on it. I asked if I could do squats and one pointed to the Smith machine and said I could do them there. "That's for Pussies" I said, and proceeded to load the barbell to warm up. Yesterday I got my biggest group of starers. 225# squats, Press and then Power Cleans. I was trying to teach a friend good form but he wasn't up to the task, which is a shame really, because he could be really strong if only he tweaked his form some. /sigh

I don't care about the stares anymore. I find them funny, and would love for some people to ask me what the fark I'm doing just to try and get a convert or two, but if not, all the power to me, and the squat rack too. In the 5 weeks I've been on SS I've not had ONE SINGLE problem on finding it empty or people needing to use it. And there's only one in the gym.

Incredible.

DSC

"because I know that soon I will be able to break them in half"

couldn't have put it better myself. People do like to stare at the power cleans. I actually like that

Default Exactly

Just keep lifting. On Friday I saw 2 guys attempting 135 power cleans on the smith machine! You only can chuckle under your breath and keep going. I get looks and chuckles using an empty bar for warm ups and 2.5 pound weights that I bought to continue to gain strength. The stopped laughing when I hit 300 on my squat for 3 sets of 5.

sushi362 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    And people actually criticize me for fucking with bodybuilders. The other guy hasn't got enough sense to be embarrassed.
    Why is that?

Why is what?

Quote Originally Posted by sushi362 View Post
    Why is that?
    yeah coach, why do you fuck with bodybuilders? they are intense competitors and certainly aren't gay.

where is it written that grown men shouldn't hold hands...while lubed to a high gloss...and wearing silk panties??

sushi362 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Why is what?
    why do people think you fuck with bodybuilders?

starting strength coach development program
    I might do so on occasion.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast