starting strength gym

Thread: Business with the Big Box Gym

Default Business with the Big Box Gym

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    For several unproductive years I have been going to a big box gym. They do not allow chalk nor do they provide a squat rack, bumper plates or dumbells above 80 pounds. But they do have plenty of swiss balls and posters on the wall advising against dropping weights, wearing do-rags and making excessive noise. Plus they serve pizza to members the first Monday of the month!

After buying and reading SS and PPST about six months ago I ventured out of town to join a gym that is more concerned with training than maintaining a large base of dormant, dues-paying members. Adding a deadlift, real squat, presses and common sense programming to my training has made a huge difference in my strength levels.

I still go to the box gym on occasion because it is much more convenient and because they buy their pizza from my restaurant -- one of their monthly orders pays for my membership for the entire year!

I'm worried, however, that it won't be long and the staff at the box gym will push me over the edge. Last week I was deadlifting 435 and was told that members were complaining about the noise -- probably both the clanking and the grunting but I really didn't ask for details when the "wellness hall monitor" told me to put a couple of sit-up mats under the barbell to dull the noise.

If I end up losing my swiss ball privileges at the box gym is there any chance that the Wichita Falls Athletic Club would be in need of any pizza the first Monday of the month?

Not really much of a question for your Q&A, but I wanted to extend my thanks for being a great resource and for your plain spoken way of explaining the ways of the barbell world. You've helped me make the decision to do what is hard and uncomfortable despite a fitness establishment that can make you feel like an outcast for picking a heavy bar up off the floor.

And I love the picture of Mrs. Rippetoe setting the Texas Deadlift Record.

Quote Originally Posted by reformedsmithmachineuser View Post

If I end up losing my swiss ball privileges at the box gym is there any chance that the Wichita Falls Athletic Club would be in need of any pizza the first Monday of the month?
    How close are you? We might be able to arrange something. Oh shit, it says "Maine". Damn stuff would be cold when it got here.