starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grip tips on deadlift

Default Grip tips on deadlift

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey guys. I recently pulled 240lbs double overhand for a good 2 reps, but on the 3rd rep my grip failed at the top and all the weight crashed on the floor. I lift on the second floor and my dad was pissed. Anyway, I grip the bar as Rip explains in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZBmi...xqMgH&index=24, however even when I try mix grip the bar falls out. What else can I do, or is there a different way I can hold the bar to prevent tearing calluses while maximizing efficiency? Should I start using straps and/or chalk, or should I just keep doing double overhand with a lighter weight?

haha alright, I'll go pick some up this weekend. Are there any disadvantages to chalk?

also, is weightlifting chalk the same kind used on blackboards?

Please don't use chalk board chalk. You want Magnesium Carbonate. Same thing gymnasts and climbers use (like Harry pointed out). It is very inexpensive and can be picked up at most sporting goods stores like dicks, acadamy or sports authority. If you want to minimize the mess, keep in in a block, don't crumble it, and just rub in on your hands when you need it.

There are lots of other things you can do to improve your grip as well. Weighted pullups, rows, etc.

A good bar helps a lot too. Some cheap bars are fat and smooth which makes them hard to hold onto.

Also (and this may seem like obvious advice) crush that bar with your hands when you grip it. Don't just try to hook your fingers around and pull. Squeeze the crap out of the bar before you pull, because once it is going up, you can't increase the squeeze. I am guilty on occasion of not squeezing as tight as I could, and it always gets me around the 4th rep. The fact that switching to mixed doesn't help you surprises me.

Also, the advice to do chins/pullups and rows is solid. I remember having to mix my grip around 230 and then I added kroc rows once a week, and within a few weeks I was able to pull 270 double overhand.

As others said., get chalk, also are you lifting on a platform upstairs? For the sake of the structure if. It is like most residential structures 4 sheets of plywood would help spread the load.

Chalk and hook grip.

Chalk, Kroc rows, pull ups, dead hangs for time all help grip. Also more volume with dead lifting helps a great deal.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr View Post
    As others said., get chalk, also are you lifting on a platform upstairs? For the sake of the structure if. It is like most residential structures 4 sheets of plywood would help spread the load.
    I lift in my condo's loft, and I only have a horse stall mat on the floor. I don't drop any weights, even deadlifts. Do you think the plywood is necessary if I set everything down easy-peasy?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast