starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weaker in the Morning?

Default Weaker in the Morning?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    So, woke up today. Had a couple cups of coffee and a protein shake. Went to the gym 30 minutes later. Goal was to press 125 for 5-6. I only hit 3- this was 15+minutes after I got to the gym, so ~50-60mins after waking. I pressed 125 for 5 just 2 weeks ago. But that was in the evening. I almost never train in the morning. Was it an off day or are people weaker/less intense in the 60 minutes after waking? Or do i just say that I must get up 2 hours (3:30 am) before training?

I train early in the morning sometimes. In my experience, I just need to get used to it. If I'm going to lift at 6am, I try to get up at 5am for coffee and awakening.

I have noticed being weaker in the morning too but I rarely workout in the morning so I wonder if it has to do with just getting use to it?

yeah, i almost never train in the morning. but busy every night this week, so had to.

I got up and lifted first thing in the morning for around 30 years. As I got older, I creaked more in the morning but felt fine otherwise, definitely not weak. That came later in the day for me after getting drug through work etc. The last year or so I find waking up more difficult as I approach my mid 60s, so I lift between 9:00 - 10:00. I still creak a little until after 2-3 warmup sets get things oiled up and moving.

I thought I performed best just before dinner which is when I do my workouts. I did a contest where I squatted in the morning and did the rest of the lifts around noon/early afternoon and set PR's. To me perhaps mornings are when I'm stronger??

skid,

Do you try for PR's in all three powerlifts on the same day?

If you have tried to do that, did you stretch it out over 6-8 hours with 2 hour intervals between your three attempts at your best?

My best lift by far is my deadlift. I have yet to realize my best potential total as a result of the down time imposed by even the best organized meet.

I only work out in the early mornings due to work schedules. Hmm, I just wonder how much heavier I could lift at 11am? If only!

I really need to start working out in the morning. I can find all kinds of excuses to skip a workout. Mostly during the summer months, after working outside most of the day my energy is zapped.

starting strength coach development program
    Mornings for me. If I don't get it done first thing I seem to find ways to miss workouts. Get up, two cups of coffee with my cat as company, then get to it. Am I weaker or stronger? Hell, I don't know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast