starting strength gym

Thread: Question about pain directly on the elbow...

Default Question about pain directly on the elbow...

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I am starting to work out again after a couple years off. I hurt my elbow somehow a couple years ago but never got it looked at.

Lately I have noticed slight pain on my elbow when doing pushups.

It is tender right directly on the bone of the elbow and nowhere else.

I thought it might be tennis elbow but from what I have seen tennis elbow is more on the tendons. I could be wrong.

Has anyone here had pain directly on the bone of the elbow, and if you did, what are some techniques to stretch/work it out?.

Thanks in advance..

I have the exact same thing and am worried its osteoarthritis in the elbow. But I hope not.

Bump...

Anybody?.

I have no idea what is going on for you guys but I experienced something similar. A few years ago I started off with pain directly on the tip of my elbow, on the bone. I went and saw my doc and was diagnosed with bursitis. I don’t remember much of my discussion with him about it. Well, being a dumbass, I ignored it and tried to train through it, for two years. Bad move… It got worse and worse, started experiencing swelling, which I ignored for a while, and the pain began to also creep up the triceps tendon. In Jan 2011, it got so bad I really had to stop training for a month. Went and saw an ortho, and x-rays showed I had developed a bone spur on my elbow and had severe tendonitis to go along with bursitis. He told me not to lift weights anymore.

I spoke with several people and researched it a bit, and along with experimenting I have found how to train around my elbow situation (none of these things I did prior):
    1. I wear a neoprene elbow sleeve whenever I do any pressing.
    2. I warm up and do some mobility stuff for my elbows (and shoulders too) Nothing crazy, just something to get blood flowing and joints warm.
    3. I cut out all triceps extensions, which I used to do a f-ton of. Just do dips and CG-Bench for triceps strength now, still make progress.
    3. I ice all the time. I ice my elbow after every training session that involves pressing, and again during the week, if it hurts.
    4. If I experience any swelling in my elbow, I take NSAIDs
    5. Last is a trick Donny Thompson wrote an article about in Power magazine, involving jump-stretch bands… just google it, I am sure you can find it… If not, I’ll try to explain it

Every time single time I forget/get lazy and don’t do these things, my elbow immediately flares up again.