starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift follow up check

Default Deadlift follow up check

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    I read and re read the sticky on set up. Here is my attempt to correct at 255. Feedback please. This feels like total low back effort and like I am doing something wrong.

http://youtu.be/alfVq4qyoHQ

You don't lock out 3, 4 or 5, the others are questionable. Your first rep also looks like you started the pull with your back rather than your legs. If you did that makes it more difficult.

Why are you trying to set the bar down as quietly as you can? You are burning a lot of energy trying to set the bar down softly. You're on a platform with bumpers. Don't completely drop it, but you don't have to use a full eccentric motion to set it down either.

Quote Originally Posted by amsgator View Post
    You don't lock out 3, 4 or 5, the others are questionable. Your first rep also looks like you started the pull with your back rather than your legs. If you did that makes it more difficult.

Why are you trying to set the bar down as quietly as you can? You are burning a lot of energy trying to set the bar down softly. You're on a platform with bumpers. Don't completely drop it, but you don't have to use a full eccentric motion to set it down either.
    I didn't want to be "histrionic" as quoted by Mr Rippetoe. Or because I don't know any better!

Most of what I'll write is a summation of some of what mgilchrest noted, with a bit of extra stuff thrown in.

Your first step is to make sure bar is mid foot maybe 1" away from shins. Second, bend over and grab bar. Do not bend your knees. You didn't lock out at the top. Finally, you aren't fully squozing. That is tighten your body until it hurts a little. Keep your butt up and raise your chest, but not your head. It is uncomfortable but it is absolutely necessary. As was noted you may wish to lighten the weight on the bar for now until you get the technique down.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    This is the hardest step (at least initially) and yet the most crucial. However, the lifting of the chest gets confusing for some folks. I personally have had success with both myself and others as noting that to lift the chest, (Mac Ward originally pointed this out) you have to squeeze the fuck out of your lats. Hard. While you're sitting or standing now, contract your lats so that you're trying to pull your shoulder blades into your back pocket.
    Your whole post was spot on, but quoting this for emphasis, partly because it's the most important, and also because I recently came across the exact same cue in one of Mike T's vids and it helped me a lot.

It's definitely the hardest step. You basically need to squoze up as hard as you possibly can. Then squoze some more. And keep doing it until the bar is back on the floor.

Dkrad1935 you can definitely lower the bar more quickly: letting go of the bar = histrionic, but almost-dropping while keeping hold (and staying tight as mgilchrest advises) and lowering under control is fine.