starting strength gym

Thread: Training and not sleeping.

Angry Training and not sleeping.

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I am having problems with sleeping after a training session. Normally I sleep pretty well getting to bed around 9-10:00 and getting 7-8 hours a night. But after a workout I can't get to sleep until midnight and lucky if I get 5 hours sleep. You would think that the extra activity would make one tired but I seem to stay would up at least mentally for hours and drag the next day.

Anyone have any tips, ideas or tricks to help me get to sleep? Help?

Work out earlier in the day?

Try melatonin (note: larger dose is not necessarily better).

I find my sleep is often less than ideal if I do a volume workout, i.e. squats 5x5 sets across, or a high intensity workout with multiple lifts. I rarely have trouble falling asleep but I do wake up more during the night after such a workout. I have also found if I workout past 8:30 pm than I have trouble falling asleep at my usual 10 pm bedtime.

Not sleeping is one of the symptoms of overtraining. Do you feel tired during the day? Do you feel especially tied after a workout? Any feelings of depression? These are all symptoms of overtraining. If you have several you might have pushed too hard. The only remedy is complete rest for a couple of weeks and then try a workout. If it makes you tired, you still need more recovery. Rest another week. Repeat until you feel fine and energetic after a workout. Then resume with a big reset and dial down the workout frequency from where you had it. Slow and steady progress is the ticket! (I had to learn this lesson the hard way several times!)

Quote Originally Posted by brkriete View Post
    Work out earlier in the day?

Try melatonin (note: larger dose is not necessarily better).
    Might try the melatonin. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by keeptryn View Post
    I find my sleep is often less than ideal if I do a volume workout, i.e. squats 5x5 sets across, or a high intensity workout with multiple lifts. I rarely have trouble falling asleep but I do wake up more during the night after such a workout. I have also found if I workout past 8:30 pm than I have trouble falling asleep at my usual 10 pm bedtime.
    Working out in the evening may be part of my problem. Been trying to start earlier but it has made little difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene61 View Post
    Not sleeping is one of the symptoms of overtraining. Do you feel tired during the day? Do you feel especially tied after a workout? Any feelings of depression? These are all symptoms of overtraining. If you have several you might have pushed too hard. The only remedy is complete rest for a couple of weeks and then try a workout. If it makes you tired, you still need more recovery. Rest another week. Repeat until you feel fine and energetic after a workout. Then resume with a big reset and dial down the workout frequency from where you had it. Slow and steady progress is the ticket! (I had to learn this lesson the hard way several times!)
    Actually, am wound up after workouts and generally sleep fine on nights I don't workout. No depression.

Thanks to everyone for your responses.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by waistline warrior View Post
    I am having problems with sleeping after a training session. Normally I sleep pretty well getting to bed around 9-10:00 and getting 7-8 hours a night. But after a workout I can't get to sleep until midnight and lucky if I get 5 hours sleep. You would think that the extra activity would make one tired but I seem to stay would up at least mentally for hours and drag the next day.

Anyone have any tips, ideas or tricks to help me get to sleep? Help?
    Maybe not the same, but I've noticed that the night after a training session I have crazy vivid dreams that tend to interrupt my sleep. On week 10 of Starting Strength, so maybe I'll level out. Been taking a 30-45 minute nap about three hours before my training session.