starting strength gym

Thread: Bench Press - Uneven Pec Development and One Arm Sitting Farther Down

Default Bench Press - Uneven Pec Development and One Arm Sitting Farther Down

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello,

Ever since I have started doing barbell bench press as part of the starting strength program, I have noticed that my left pec seems to always feel more targeted during the exercise than my right pec. Initially, I attributed this to muscle imbalance, and that my left pec is just weaker than my right; with time, I thought, it would even out.

2 months later, however, and I'm still feeling bench press more on my left side. It's gotten to the point where my left pec is noticeably bigger than my right pec, which doesn't make any sense whatsoever--if my left pec is weaker, I would expect it to be smaller. I tried switching over to dumbbell bench press, yet even when I use DB's I STILL feel it more on my left side.

Video:

The only thing I have noticed (and what others notice) is that one arm tends to sit lower than the other at the portion of the press where the bar is closest to my chest, here's some pictures:

Holding dumbbell:

Simply laying on the bench and putting my hands up like I'm holding a barbell or dumbbell:

I'm not trying to push one elbow/arm higher up than the other; this is simply me going the full range of motion with each arm. Someone recommended I just hold my right elbow/arm higher up so that it evens out with my left, but it still doesn't really address the problem since I'm still feeling it on my left side.

Here's picture's of my chest and back, if you're curious: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Any help/input would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

-Mike

Can you post this video on YouTube? I have purged my computers of Adobe Flash and will not willingly go back. You don't look asymmetrical in your photos and despite the fact that you feel the lift more in your left, I would not be terribly worried. People are often slightly asymmetrical. It is not necessarily problematic. My guess is that you are just fine and should train as normal with a barbell. We'll see if that is the case after watching the video, but I would bet there is nothing wrong with you.