starting strength gym

Thread: RTS for Texas Method (bench)

Default RTS for Texas Method (bench)

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Just switched my bench onto TM after a second run of LP stalled at 135kg / 298 x 5,5,4. Squats and deads are on Karl's 5/1.

I've up TM using RTS principles for Volume Day:

Volume Day = Touch n go 5s @ rpe 9, with 5% fatigue, repeat drop
    Intensity Day = paused singles x 5, adding 2-3lbs each week, starting at 140kg / 309

First VD tonight, went 120, 125, 127.5, 120 x 5 x 3

Questions I'm wondering about:

- Is 5% fatigue a sensible starting place for VD? Plan to titrate as necessary once ID stalls but am I better starting at 7-8%?
    - Should I use RPEs for ID as well? E.g. @ 9 with load drop. Or is singles across a better measure of progress?

Your plan seems reasonable, and growth or lack thereof over the next few weeks will determine the effectiveness of your programming. If you are doing a single drop by 5% you MAY not be doing RTS as written, though, you could be depending on the RPE of that fatigue set. Do a little research. Remember that a 7% drop should be more volume than 5%. 5% is generally the norm unless planning on overreaching. It will be interesting to see how LP ID responds with a RTS VD.

Thanks Mac (I actually didn't mean to post this in the SSC Q&A, but appreciate the response!)

John Hanley advised that I might need to do two consecutive 5% drops on VD to get enough stress so I'm going to start there for a few weeks and titrate if ID isn't moving