starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Belt Width to Get First - 3" or 4"

Default Which Belt Width to Get First - 3" or 4"

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I'm planning on buying a belt soon and I’ve read that 4” tend to be better for squats, while 3” (or smaller) are better for deadlifts due to the starting position.
    I only have the money for 1 belt right now, and it’ll be a while before I get another. So, which one should a person buy first?

Another minor, less important consideration: If one belt somehow works for both lifts, I’d obviously like to have only one belt instead of two. Which belt size has the greatest chance of working well for both lifts?

EDIT: My height is 5' 10".
    EDIT2: The vertical distance between my pelvis (around where the top of pants sit) and my xiphoid process (around where my upper abs end) is around 11 inches (sorry if it's unclear; I don't know much about anatomy and I don't know the proper terms).
    Last edited by aWalkingShadow; 12-09-2014 at 08:26 PM.

How tall are you? You're going to want 4" for squats. I can't quite get into position with my 4" belt. I'm 5'10" but my torso is relatively short. It digs under my ribs so I'm going to have to buy a 3" belt soon.

4 is standard. I'm short and a girl and 4 fits me, but I don't wear my belt under my ribs.

4"
    It is also useful for doing presses.

By neglecting to provide any information about your body, you have made it very difficult to provide advice tailored to your situation.

Having said that, for a typical person - and especially given your stated preference to have as few belts as possible - it might make sense to get the 3" first, because it is more likely to work well for the deadlift, and can suffice for squatting. The 4" is probably better for squatting but could be much worse (read: possibly useless) for deadlifiting.

So, between the fact that we don't know anything about your body and the fact that your desire to buy only one belt suggests you are probably not very serious about lifting, I'd say get the 3" first.

Quote Originally Posted by amsgator View Post
    How tall are you? You're going to want 4" for squats. I can't quite get into position with my 4" belt. I'm 5'10" but my torso is relatively short. It digs under my ribs so I'm going to have to buy a 3" belt soon.
    I'm 5'10". Are you able to deadlift more with a belt or without? Does the 4" prevent you from getting into the deadlift start position, or is it just uncomfortable?

I'm 6'2 and my wife's 3" chewed me up on deadlifts today. Was just testing it. It needs was more breaking in than my 4".
    I liked the proprioception from the 3" on squats. I prefer my 4". But it's much more broken in

I had the same thoughts when I committed to buying a belt. I'm 5'7. I figured a 3" would offer enough support and definitely be narrow enough to deadlift in. Glad I got the 4" first. I eventually got a 3" too, because I couldn't really get into position for pulls with the 4". But the 4" works so much better for squats, and I think the belt is more important for squats. You can always put the 4" up over your sternum George Leeman style until you can save up to get a 3" if you need one.
    Last edited by Adam Skillin; 12-09-2014 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Finn View Post
    By neglecting to provide any information about your body, you have made it very difficult to provide advice tailored to your situation.
    Sorry. I thought that my question would have a more general answer. I've added some information about my proportions to the original post.
    Last edited by aWalkingShadow; 12-09-2014 at 08:33 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by aWalkingShadow View Post
    Sorry. I thought that my question would have a more general answer. I've added some information about my proportions to the original post.
    The most relevant measurement is probably the distance between the highest point of your pelvis and the lowest point of your ribcage.

Look, 4" is the standard. Most people are going to tell you to get a 4" belt first. I got a 4" first. 4" is probably going to be better for squatting, which is the single most important exercise in the program. If you were serious about lifting I'd probably advise you to get a 4" first.

I suggested 3" because it would probably work better for squatting and deadlifting than a 4". 4" is probably better for squatting, but it can be much worse for deadlifting. In other words, the 3" might be 7/10 for squatting and 9/10 for deadlifting, while the 4" might be 9/10 for squatting but 3/10 for deadlifiting. So when viewed that way, and keeping in mind that we're all just sitting around our computers making guesses about your situation, the 3" could be a better belt in sum.

Especially if you'd rather not shell out for two belts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast