starting strength gym

Thread: 1/2' vs. 3/4 inch shoe

Default 1/2' vs. 3/4 inch shoe

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Coaches,

Would I notice a considerable difference in say switching from a 3/4" shoe like the Nike Romaleos to the Rogue 1/2"? What are preferable for the SS lifts? Just recently feel like my form has been going to shit so a form check is probably in order but was curious if a smaller heeled shoe would allow better control and less forward lean in the squat.

I switched to the lower heeled 1/2 inch Rogues in August, from the 3/4 inch Do-Wins I'd been using since 2008 or 2009. I generally like the 1/2 inch better for doing things the way we do them here, especially pulling.

The lower heel would result in more forward lean in the squat, not less. The higher heel allows your knees to track further forward, necessitating less forward lean if the bar is to be maintained over mid-foot (which, of course, it must). The extreme example of this is a front squat, where the knees are way out forward and the torso is basically vertical. We purposely don't want this anatomical arrangement in the squat, for all the reasons detailed in the book and repeated at the seminar and in many threads here on the forum. But the difference between a 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch shoe in this regard is not significant for most trainees.

I like the 1/2 inch, but either one is a fine choice.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 11-27-2013 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Brain fart

Coach,

I always thought the heel allowed for a more vertical torso. I could be wrong but here is what I think:

I squat in a 1" heel, (a remnant of my Oly days) and I actually have a much more vertical torso with my squat compared to bare feet. I agree that compared to no heel, a heel allows the knees to track forward more (relative to the foot). However, because the knee is composed of a bone connected to the hips the hips must also move forward when the knees move forward (relative to the heel, which cannot move because it is grounded in the squat). Therefore your hips are closer to your heel in the bottom position of a squat when using a heel than without a heel (looking at absolute horizontal displacement). Everything is connected so that when your hips are closer to your heels, you can keep you shoulders (where the bar will be placed) over the middle of your foot with less of a bend at the waist (smaller torso angle) than if your hips were further away from your heels.

This is all assuming the same stance width with and without a heel.

Not a coach. But I use the Do-Wins and can't fault them. Anything less is pretty much just a "normal" shoe isn't it? Also, I deadlift in socks.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    The lower heel would result in more forward lean in the squat, not less.
    Sorry, disregard my last post. I'm apparently reading comprehension challenged today.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bryant View Post
    Anything less is pretty much just a "normal" shoe isn't it?
    I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bryant View Post
    Also, I deadlift in socks.
    That's nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Kundahli View Post
    Sorry, disregard my last post. I'm apparently reading comprehension challenged today.
    My original response actually contradicted itself. I was in a hurry to finish the post before I had to run off to coach someone and didn't take the time to write it out correctly. Thanks to your post for making me go back and re-read it.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the feedback Wolf!