starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Issues and Stall at 175

Default Squat Issues and Stall at 175

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Coaches,

I have been having some problems with my squats lately. I deloaded at around 205 to work on form and to stop using the belt. I am now back up to 175 without the belt, but am having trouble increasing my squats. I had a great workout this past Sunday where 175 felt super light. Today though, I had trouble even doing 175 and had a lot of lower back tension during the squats. After the workout, my glutes/hips on both sides felt tight and had a dull ache.

I recorded a video of my last set today and wanted to see if you could see any issues that could be causing this?

Also, have you seen many people get stuck around the 175lb to 200lb mark? I am 6ft 1, 190 pounds, and 31 years old. My plan is to just keep at it and keep eating until I get stronger. I am frustrated though that I am running into these early stalls on the squat!

I might should upload a dead lift form check video soon as well. I have not been able to get my lower back into the proper position lately.

Squat 175 x 5
    http://youtu.be/WaEyJpwrb70

Hey Brian,

Your squats look really good, but they're a little high. Shove your knees out harder and drop down a bit more. Repost a video when you get back to heavier weights and we can see if any other issues manifest.

People get stuck a different weights for different reasons. How long have you been doing the program? Talk to me about food intake.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Horn View Post
    Hey Brian,

Your squats look really good, but they're a little high. Shove your knees out harder and drop down a bit more. Repost a video when you get back to heavier weights and we can see if any other issues manifest.

People get stuck a different weights for different reasons. How long have you been doing the program? Talk to me about food intake.
    No one ain't telling you nothing till you tell us the secret to getting giant arms, like yours- nothing, you get it? We're boycotting your ass till you do.

We boycotters are not averse to begging for the secret, if we have to.

Quote Originally Posted by lewabbit View Post
    No one ain't telling you nothing till you tell us the secret to getting giant arms, like yours- nothing, you get it?
    You're clearly not ready. Anyone who would selfishly hijack the thread of a poor guy looking for some help on his squat and blather on about boycott nonsense doesn't have the discipline or self-control required to successfully embark on the quest for huge gunz.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Horn View Post
    You're clearly not ready. Anyone who would selfishly hijack the thread of a poor guy looking for some help on his squat and blather on about boycott nonsense doesn't have the discipline or self-control required to successfully embark on the quest for huge gunz.
    You win, good sir. I have been burned.