starting strength gym

Thread: Question on Dead Lift Programming

Default Question on Dead Lift Programming

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have a strength routine set up like the pyramid method in the advanced section of Practical Programming. I currently have DL's in the routine but only one day a week due to the high recovery requirements from it. My question is if I could/should reduce the volume even more.

I lift Tues/Thurs/Sat with squats, pressing, and DL (subbed with Rows 2 days) and a couple assistance movements at relatively low volume. I also do boxing/Muay Thai work for approx. 2 hours on Monday and usually a few high intensity rounds (bag/mits/sparring) on Wed. I realize this may impair the results from my strength training.

So most of the training is going pretty well thus far but the DL's (done 5x5 heavy) are just brutal to recover from which is why I only do them on one heavy day a week vs. 2 heavier days and one light day. Is there a better way of programming the DL's into this model? What about heavy DL's once a week and DE deads the next? The most I've DL'd is 495, if that matters. I'm just looking to make some gains while maintaining my fight training. I realize my other training will hold me back to some degree or another. Thanks.

Heavy alternated with DE is fine. But really, you should just do the program.