starting strength gym

Thread: Weighted Ring Dips vs. Bench Press

Default Weighted Ring Dips vs. Bench Press

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Coach,

I am a CrossFitter in Monterey, CA. For the last 3 years I've been doing pretty much strict CrossFit, really focusing on weaknesses (high rep gymnastics and running.) I recently realized that I just kind of want to focus on the stuff I like, so my training looks something like this right now:

2-3 weeks of 3 heavy days a week, deadlifts, squats, presses, power and squat cleans, and snatches, plus L-Pullups, weighted pullups, weighted ring dips. I'll finish a day like this with a short metcon, some double under intervals or something. 2 days a week of running (I never run more than a mile a day total, based on the scientific evidence that I really don't want to) and maybe some higher rep gymnastics (50 chest-to-bar pullups for time or something similar.)

Then I'll switch for 2-3 weeks to CrossFit, with a tendency towards heavy metcon, based on the scientific evidence that I like lifting heavy things and then putting them back down (eg, 5 rounds for time: 5 squat cleans @ 175#, 5 ring dips @ 55#.)

We haven't got a bench in the box right now. I intend to get a couple eventually regardless, for my athletes to do certain CF WODs, but I greatly prefer training the ring dip...not really because I know whether or not it's better or even equivalent, simply because I enjoy them more.

So all that blather has led to this: Am I losing a significant amount as far as strength development goes if I'm only doing weighted ring dips and never benching?

Thanks in advance.

You are losing the ability to easily scale the effort, for the more novice trainees especially. Weighted ring dips makes my shoulder hurt when I type the words, and even bodyweight ring dips are an advanced exercise for most people. The bench is too useful to omit from your equipment list.

What is with the unfounded hatred for the bench press among the CF community? I guess it is just because there is a bench involved? I feel like I'm seeing this more and more.

I think it is an overreaction to the bench press masturbation that occurs at Gold's.

Quote Originally Posted by KSC View Post
    What is with the unfounded hatred for the bench press among the CF community? I guess it is just because there is a bench involved? I feel like I'm seeing this more and more.
    KSC: I don't hate bench press. I am the owner of a very new CrossFit affiliate which is currently struggling for funds. If you read my post, you already know that I intend to buy benches once we can afford them.

Coach: I know benches are too important to omit...I'm asking here about my training specifically, just because I don't really like benching that much. I absolutely agree that the benches are something we need, and we will get them...I'm just wondering if I need to do them, if I am capable of heavy enough ring dips that I can scale the effort easily?

Thanks.

No, you don't have to bench, especially if you 1.) are strong enough to do weighted ring dips and 2.) you really don't want to. Just don't make your novice members the subject of this advice.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    No, you don't have to bench, especially if you 1.) are strong enough to do weighted ring dips and 2.) you really don't want to. Just don't make your novice members the subject of this advice.
    Understood Coach. Like I said, this is specifically for me. Thanks a ton.