starting strength gym

Thread: Power Clean form practice

Default Power Clean form practice

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm training the power clean every fourth workout (the B workout, alternating between the DL and PC). I've been practicing the form every session with light weights in addition to that. For the practice I've been doing 2x5 with 65lbs while my work sets are at 120lbs. I'd like to practice a little heavier. What is the maximum weight you'd have me practice with, so as not to interfere with the recovery?

Also, my chin-ups aren't really improving. I'm doing 9, 8 and 6 reps each time to failure. Tell me that it's okay to start doing 3x5 and adding weight by now.

Thanks!

Quit practicing your form on off-days. Post a video so we can get it correct on workout days. How long are you resting between sets of chins?

I didn't say I was practicing on off-days. Just on the days I do the other workouts (3x a week). It feels like I can't improve the technique doing the exercise just once every fourth workout. It's not that I don't know how to do it (I have your book), but rather it requires more practice. What about going back to power cleaning every other workout and not doing the chin-ups?

I'm resting 5 mins between sets of chins.

You want to stop doing chin-ups? Okay. But really, if you do the program exactly the way it's written, everything works pretty well.

Every 4th workout? You bought the book? I think we have a liar amongst us. Just buy the book and read it man.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD9692 View Post
    Every 4th workout? You bought the book? I think we have a liar amongst us. Just buy the book and read it man.
    It could be that he is following the routine in PP2 that calls for deadlifting/cleaning every 5th workout.

Re-read page 300.

BBT 2nd edition, page 300. That's the program I'm doing. I got the impression that's the one to do after the deadlifts get heavy.

And yes, I rather hate chin-ups. So how about doing this kind of variation:
    A - SQ, BP/P, PC
    B - SQ, P/BP, DL/Chins

I'm pretty sure I could still make good progress on the clean doing it every other workout.

I assume he is using Onu Wunsler's program which is on page 300 of SS2E.

Workout A:
    Squat, Press, Deadlift alternating with Power Clean

Workout B:
    Squat, Bench Press, Back Extensions, Chins

starting strength coach development program
    My chinning numbers haven't been improving much lately either.. though I have taken my BW from 83 to 103kg, and to me that sounds like an improvement in chinning strength. How much weight have you been gaining?