starting strength gym

Thread: Bradford Press

Default Bradford Press

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I just started using the Bradford Press in my current 5/3/1 cycle and started thinking it could be a useful tool to help new trainees learn the start of the proper bar path in a press. I know often times folks have a hard time not letting the bar get too far forward and maybe a few light sets of this would help. Just a random thought I figured I'd post.

What is the Bradford Press?

Here's a video of a modified Bradford Press. Normally you only clear your head by a couple inches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIhyM7A_xoc

I can't see your youtube (firewall), but I found a video here and if that's what you're talking about then it's just an alternate press from the front and from the back--the latter which Rip and Starr have frequently warned against doing (although if it's not a heavy weight it may not matter). In any case, I'm not sure how this is a substitute or enhancement to the technique as taught by Rip--but maybe you're suggesting that getting the bar close to the head will help get used to the same.

http://www.ironscene.com/videos/1121__bradford_press
    Last edited by matclone; 02-04-2010 at 12:58 PM.

Oh, not suggesting it as a substitute or enhancement by any means. But in order to get the bar behind your head you need to start with the proper bar path for a press. Just thinking it could be helpful for those that struggle to figure out proper bar path on the press. Possibly a couple sets with just the barbell during warmups could be beneficial.