starting strength gym

Thread: What to do about missed deadlifts

Default What to do about missed deadlifts

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Today my gym closed early for the annual Athletic Banquet, of which I was unaware. I only managed a few warmup sets for my deadlift before I was kicked out of the gym. My program (advanced novice):

1) Tuesday
    Squat heavy 3x5
    Bench/Press 3x5
    Chinups

2) Thursday
    Squat light (80%) 2x5
    Bench/Press 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5

3) Saturday
    Squat heavy 3x5
    Bench/Press 3x5
    Chinups

When should I do my deadlifts? I was thinking I would do them tomorrow, then do my Saturday workout on Sunday instead, which pushes my schedule back a day so that I'd be working out on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. Is this pheasable? Is there a better way I could go about this?

PVC,
    Switch your deads to Tuesday. Let Thursday be a real recovery day.
    Don't worry about missing the workset this last time. You won't get weaker so long as you keep training.

-Dwayne

If you did mess those things up, I don't see why you couldn't immediately go back to your Tuesday Thursday Saturday schedule. The 2 day weekend break isn't magic or necessary.

If I were you, I'd displace your chins on Saturday. Heavy squats could interfere with your deadlifts, sure, but go with it. Second choice would be skip deadlifts just this once. Third choice would be to go in tomorrow, lift Sunday, then get back to your regularly scheduled programming.

That's a pretty good idea. But do I just not do deadlifts until then? I don't particularly want to miss a week of deadlifting.

Actually, I'm just going to do it your way since it's more optimal for my recovery than what I'm doing now, plus it gives me extra recovery time this week. It does force me to set my deadlift back by 5 days, which sucks, but if given the choice between setting my deadlift back 5 days and setting my squat back 1 day, I'd throw my deadlift to the wolves in a heartbeat. At this point I'm desperate for a 3-plate squat, and being set back a day would break my heart. Not even joking.

starting strength coach development program
    Pick up something heavy. Recliner, 32in CRT tv, back end of a mini...