starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift Raced Ahead of Slowing Squat

Default Deadlift Raced Ahead of Slowing Squat

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    This has been bothering me.

My squat has slowly been creeping on my deadlift for the past couple of years. Like a lot of skinny people, when my skinny ass started out I could deadlift about 150 more than I could squat. I started squatting seriously a couple of years ago and my deadlift tended to gain about 80 or 90% of what my squat did. So over time my squat grew closer to my deadlift. The distance between the two lifts has been holding fairly steady, however, at about 60 lbs more for my conventional and 85 or 90 lbs more for my sumo.

But recently and out of nowhere my deadlift has been galloping ahead even as I've been struggling to hold onto my squat strength. I recently pulled a 45-lb PR on my conventional deadlift and I think I'm good for another 10 lbs more soon when I pull fresh. Meanwhile, I can barely squat over 90% of my last meet best these days. With those kind of gains on the deadlift, I'd have expected to be training with my old squat meet best by now, not struggling to get 90% of it.

I'd read somewhere that Bob Peoples would focus on either his squat or deadlift and train the one lift till it went stale and then focus on the other. Maybe that's what I need to do..?

Anyone else experience something like this? Maybe with the press and the bench?

Did you start that weight loss routine you were talking about? I've found that a higher bodyweight helps out the squat more than it does the deadlift.

Are you beat up and need a mental break from squatting? Maybe you just need some time off from the lift. Focus on front squats, pulls, and upper body stuff for awhile. I'm sure it won't take long for you to catch the squattin' fever again.

That or go celibate again and rock another Smolov.

Squats are dumb anyway, if you squat within 100 lbs of your deadlift you're a witch

You hit a 45lbs deadlift PR and you're bitching. I want to slap you, Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Galgon View Post
    Did you start that weight loss routine you were talking about? I've found that a higher bodyweight helps out the squat more than it does the deadlift.
    Squat's been stalling for months before I decided to cut for the 82.5 and show off my seckzy abz at the beach. It's been a very frustrating three months.

Quote Originally Posted by SamGriffin View Post
    Are you beat up and need a mental break from squatting? Maybe you just need some time off from the lift. Focus on front squats, pulls, and upper body stuff for awhile. I'm sure it won't take long for you to catch the squattin' fever again.

That or go celibate again and rock another Smolov.
    Possibly needed a break. I'm doing a light squat day and a heavy-ish one as I try to get used to heavy weight on my back again. Figured I'd run with this deadlift jump and find a new 1RM in the conventional (I usually just train conventional when I train the DL at all and pull sumo at the meet).

The plan was to start that Russian Peaking Routine after that for the SQ and BP which should add about 5% to each. The squat gains have always carried over to the DL gains in the past. I was gonna do light sumo pulls for practice on the light 80%x2x6 SQ days.

Quote Originally Posted by NolanPower View Post
    Squats are dumb anyway, if you squat within 100 lbs of your deadlift you're a witch
    That is hilarious and quotable.

Quote Originally Posted by cjangelo View Post
    You hit a 45lbs deadlift PR and you're bitching. I want to slap you, Gary.

Shit Gary, my squat and DL are neck and neck. I'd love to conventional pull 45lbs more than my squat.
    NolanPower, no actually people that deadlift over 700 are the witches.

Quote Originally Posted by kittenSmash View Post
    Shit Gary, my squat and DL are neck and neck. I'd love to conventional pull 45lbs more than my squat.
    NolanPower, no actually people that deadlift over 700 are the witches.
    Ha. My conventional USED to be only 45 lbs ahead of my squat. Right now it's more like 90 lbs. I won't know my new max sumo pull till meet day in early July, but it's probably 120 lbs ahead of my squat now.

And I agree. NolanPower is the witch with his freaky DL. He and A J (Raw DL 600 @181) would surely have been burned at the stake in 17th Century Salem.

Making huge gains on everything all the time would be awesome, but it's unlikely to happen. It sounds like your bench and your dead lift are progressing nicely, and I'd bet your press is as well. All progress is progress, the squat will have it's time again. I'd run with your DL for a while, considering a bigger squat isn't the only way to train it.....

I agree with what Jake said about the body weight. That's why some of those Dragon Door guys prefer Dead lifts to Squats. I believe it's because progress is possible in the DL while staying at a static weight moreso than with squats. They've been bitten by the "wiry strength" bug as an excuse to stay small....but that's here nor there.

starting strength coach development program
    I think this is further evidence that you need to be at 198.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast