starting strength gym

Thread: Does anyone here train at the University of Toronto?

Question Does anyone here train at the University of Toronto?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey guys,

I took a visit to the University of Toronto Athletic Centre to check out what about 10 people at my current gym have been telling me - that there are bumper plates and platform available. I confirmed the existence of said bumpers and platforms and am planning on dropping in for a month to see how I like it. Does anybody on this board train at the Athletic Center on a regular basis? It'd be cool to put faces to handles. I already have my face plastered on all my videos on my training log.

I'm planning on going there Friday(assuming I can get the admin work out of the way and money out of my pocket). If I bump into anyone on the board going there, my name is Fernando and I'll be training squats.

FYI for those clueless on what I'm talking about:
    http://www.physical.utoronto.ca/athl...ntre/index.php

I've checked out the U of T gym and it wasn't bad. I didn't end up signing up but it wouldbe very nice to be able to drop my cleans and try out some jerks and not worry about failing and dropping them.

I was also curious about the Barbell classes at Crossfit Toronto. Ever check that out by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by victorc View Post
    I've checked out the U of T gym and it wasn't bad. I didn't end up signing up but it wouldbe very nice to be able to drop my cleans and try out some jerks and not worry about failing and dropping them.

I was also curious about the Barbell classes at Crossfit Toronto. Ever check that out by any chance?
    No I haven't checked out Crossfit, and I don't want to given their rates.

Anybody actually attend the U of T athletic centre on a regular basis?

There used to be a good place called Monster Gym in Toronto

Quote Originally Posted by famendoza View Post
    Hey guys,

I took a visit to the University of Toronto Athletic Centre to check out what about 10 people at my current gym have been telling me - that there are bumper plates and platform available. I confirmed the existence of said bumpers and platforms and am planning on dropping in for a month to see how I like it. Does anybody on this board train at the Athletic Center on a regular basis? It'd be cool to put faces to handles. I already have my face plastered on all my videos on my training log.

I'm planning on going there Friday(assuming I can get the admin work out of the way and money out of my pocket). If I bump into anyone on the board going there, my name is Fernando and I'll be training squats.

FYI for those clueless on what I'm talking about:
    http://www.physical.utoronto.ca/athl...ntre/index.php

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Staley View Post
    There used to be a good place called Monster Gym in Toronto
    Hey Charles, I did a little digging and this is the current state of Monster Gym in Toronto (The municipality of Etobicoke to be exact):

http://fitness365.ca/about/the-club

Looks like they converted to the big box model. I'll give them a shout to see if they've got Olympic lifting equipment though.

Back on track, anybody train the lifts at UofT regularly? Friday's coming up soon!

Thumbs up

Trained there today. LOVED the Olympic platforms, the plates, the BAR (felt like plastic, and yet was metal, and easy to grip) and most importantly, the ability to drop (with control of course) the bar. Here' a more detailed experience of my adventure in UofT gymland: My visit to UofT athletic center.

Hey, I'm a student at UofT and go there when I can. There are 4 platforms with decent bars and bumpers. The downside is that there are only 3 power racks and only one with a pull up bar. The track upstairs is nice too if you want to have a run.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by H3O View Post
    Hey, I'm a student at UofT and go there when I can. There are 4 platforms with decent bars and bumpers. The downside is that there are only 3 power racks and only one with a pull up bar. The track upstairs is nice too if you want to have a run.
    Hey buddy, I'll probably head there after next week. The upcoming G20 summit is going to affect the UofT campus, including the Athletic Center, and as a result both will have limited secure access (I'll be searched) or will be closed down - or so I've been told. I've already got another membership at the Adelaide Club, but I don't want to throw good money after bad, so I may decide to get an additional membership at the U of T campus since it looks like it's got what I need. Only thing I didn't check out was whether the gym had
    - reverse hyper
    - glute ham raise or a 45 degree extension
    - dip station
    - bands of differing strength

I did see a portable squat rack (the ones that look like hydraulic lifts).

Let me know by PM if you're going to go sometime after next week. Don't wanna run into "professional" protesters at the summit.

starting strength coach development program
    As of today, I've joined this gym and plan on performing the beginner Olympic program listed in Greg Everett's Olympic Weightlifting: A Complete Guide For Athletes & Coaches. If anyone on this board trains there, I'll be there on Sunday. My last shout out to U of T trainees there.