starting strength gym

Thread: Speed deadlifts

Default Speed deadlifts

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I thought I might share this with some other guys. I had been stalling with deadlifts, and resetting didn't help. Anyway basically I've removed 1x5 deadlifts from my training, and instead I only do speed deadlifts (~10 sets, 30 second rest). I start off with 60% of my 1rm and increase by 5% each week until it reaches 70%, in which the week after I attempt a 1 rm.

So far it's been successful. The first 1 rm I was able to achieve 140 kg at 65kg 5'8 back in Mid May, and just the last Thursday I got 150 kg, at same bodyweight of 65kg. I'll be either aiming for 152 or 155kg for my next deadlift max. I think I can reach the 'Advanced level' for deadlift sometime next year.

For those interested, I've combined Texas method and speed sets for my recovery day on Wednesday rather than the lightened load of your usual working sets.

As a fellow 5'8" person, may I say that you must be really skinny and its probably quite an achievement moving those weights with good form.

When I post a query about anything, people shoot me down and blame me for being too skinny. But I am at least a full 10kg more than you.

Well done, if this is working for you, keep doing it. May I ask how your squat is doing?

I was mucking around with squats, but anyway I have moved it down and now it's around 85kg for 1x5, but I was doing 95kg for 1x5 a few months ago. I attempted a 1rm during that time and it's around 100kg.

If you're interested in bench, it's a measly 62.5kg for 1 rep.

I'm skinny but you should have seen when I first started training. I was only 47kg back then!

people seem to think that having been extremely skinny is an excuse to be "normal" skinny.

Take your skininess (?) and make the best out of it: you can bulk up all you like without getting fat, at least for a couple of months, maybe more. Think of the fat guys: if they are not recovering well they can't just eat an couple of extra cheeseburgers and down a extra couple of liters of whole milk. You can.

Well I'm maintaining my weight with around 3000 calories atm, and I don't think I can down any more food/milk. In fact, I actually did increase the calories a few months ago but basically all I put on is fat, so I've stopped it. My waist is around 83cm, and I would say that's quite big esp for my weight.

I've been training for some time now, and I use to be all about gaining weight but I've passed that phase. I started about 4-5 years ago at 47kg and since then I've put on nearly 20kg.

As long as my strength increases, that'll satisfy me enough